Tapering the nail head

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Tapering the nail head

Post by Speedster »

Just a short story I hope will make you smile. A car came through inspection and the nail heads were flat. I asked Dad why he ground the heads flat (illegal) and he told me he didn't grind them but used the portion of a tool to put a taper on the nail head (also illegal). I didn't ask him how big a hammer he used. How does someone come up with this stuff ???
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tapering the nail head

Post by FatSebastian »

Speedster wrote:I didn't ask him how big a hammer he used.
I'm not sure I am following the short story fully, but the Derby Worx Pro-Axle Press has a "head beveling" feature. Instructions include "Lay the press on its back (axle head upward) and strike the axle head 2 to 4 times."
Speedster wrote:How does someone come up with this stuff ???
BSA Scout shops stock this tool.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I just now struck a nail 4 times in the tool and it put a little dent in the head so it resembles Max V's 4094 axle. I then beat it to death and it still didn't resemble what the guy had. Once the nail head reached the level of the tool I couldn't damage it anymore. I think the guy ground it down for some reason. Who knows.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

before you beat that poor axle to death did you give it room to come thru on the other side... in our first few years of making cars we used the pro axle jig and our axle heads were very flat... we put the tool in a vice so that the end of the axle protruded out of the jig... why is it so illegal to modify an axle?
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

I'll second the fact of flattening heads of axles using the axle press. I've done it, seen many a parent at our workshops do it too. Watched patents use the non beveled side and really flatten them.

Don't get me started on the whole things of the DW tools being sold in the scout shops but using them to build your car is illegal thing. I pointed out how bad this looks and is to the folks in charge of the district and council races here. They didn't care. Didn't seem to understand why it was even something to think about.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Greg, it's illegal because the rules allow "Light sanding/polishing of axles to remove burrs is permissible". That's the way it has been for the last 29 years. I started this thread because I thought it was humorous and it would make folks smile. It seems to be going in a different direction and it is interesting. In the last 29 years of inspecting cars I have never seen anyone do anything to the head of the nail. I knew the guy wasn't trying to cheat. Flat heads on the nails are a bit obvious. I'm still smiling about it.