Wheel Bore Wax?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Wheel Bore Wax?

Post by Speedster »

Sporty, I recall reading in a Physics book someplace that making a bore smaller is more advantageous than making an axle bigger. Were you able to measure the wheel bore after applying all that wax? I've got a lot of time. I think I'd like to play around with this.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

There is a few things to mention with answering your question.
A smaller wheel bore is almost always the way to go.

As in that book. People use to melt plastic . To fill wheel bore or drill out. Ect. To have a smaller wheel bore.

So ya. If legal and allowed it's the way to go.
rarely allowed and rarely legal.

no I did not measure the bore. When I tinkered. I was trying to stay with in the rules.

Instead of a 93 axle. A few more coats. You could sometimes only use a 91 axle.

I never tried to reduce the bore size.

I do know. That you can start to get a uneven build up and non centering build up in the bore.
I never tried to ream or fix it. Just found that the car was slower due to it.

My guess. Maybe 20 to 50 application may get u much smaller bore. But also may need to be center bore reamed after that.
not sure how that would work or turn out. With wax as the filler. Or Teflon mix.

I knew it was not allowed and did not wanot to cheat.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank You.
Drknjme
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Drknjme »

I know this is an old post but I’m hoping someone can help me. I came across this while doing research on preppinh wheel bores and I was going to try and order liquid glass but apparently it’s not sold anywhere anymore. What are people using now in place of liquid glass. Thanks in advance
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Drknjme wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 am I know this is an old post but I’m hoping someone can help me. I came across this while doing research on preppinh wheel bores and I was going to try and order liquid glass but apparently it’s not sold anywhere anymore. What are people using now in place of liquid glass. Thanks in advance
There are a number of options. For bore wax, many automotive polishes will work. You're looking for a synthetic polish that repels oil and water and does not contain carnauba.

You could probably find plenty of workable products at your local auto supply store. this for example.

There are also some products that are race-proven but not sold locally, such as Rejex wax.

Finally, plenty of vendors carry bore treatments you can use, such as the "SImple Green" (no relation to the cleaning product) from Derby Evolution.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

There is a 16 ounce can of Liquid Glass, Gold can with Red Corvette, on eBay, seller is louie766. Starting bid is $15.99, $7.00 shipping. I paid $20.00 for the identical can and the shipping happened to be Free at the time. If what they advertise is true, it is well worth the price.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:07 pm There is a 16 ounce can of Liquid Glass, Gold can with Red Corvette, on eBay, seller is louie766. Starting bid is $15.99, $7.00 shipping. I paid $20.00 for the identical can and the shipping happened to be Free at the time. If what they advertise is true, it is well worth the price.
Honestly, if you're gonna pay 15-20 bucks for it, I'd just buy the Rejex. The "pros" trust it more than Liquid Glass. Though, I mean, Liquid Glass works, too.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

If you're going to use the Liquid Glass strictly for polishing wheel bores you might decide to sell some. So very little is used a 16 ounce can will probably last forever. If you advertise it in your area where shipping doesn't become involved and get 3 or 4 dollars for a small amount you will soon have the can paid for. Plus, enthused buyers will spread the word and you'll probably make a profit.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:37 pm If you're going to use the Liquid Glass strictly for polishing wheel bores you might decide to sell some. So very little is used a 16 ounce can will probably last forever. If you advertise it in your area where shipping doesn't become involved and get 3 or 4 dollars for a small amount you will soon have the can paid for. Plus, enthused buyers will spread the word and you'll probably make a profit.
Speaking of Liquid Glass, I've got plenty left on my shelf. If anybody needs some, I'll send you some for the cost of the shipping.