Something Very Special... 2015 Mid America Pinewood Derby

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Something Very Special... 2015 Mid America Pinewood Derb

Post by gpraceman »

I arrived in Omaha this afternoon. Oh boy, what a setup! Four tracks (two for the scout races) and two for the league racers (one to tune on and one for racing) that are already setup with one more to go for the kids to race their Lego creations. Live streaming on the three racing tracks. Tons of mailed in proxy cars for scouts and league racers. Tons of trophies and door prizes. I've run two district races, back when my boys were in Cub Scouts, and that pales in comparison to the logistics of doing a race like this. Greg has done an impressive job putting this race together. :clap:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

birddog wrote:Good luck Knothead! You guys always bring the heat. If we are anywhere near you, we will be happy.

birddog

Thanks, Birddog.

We were running behind this year in a bad way. Started off yesterday morning with no cars put together. Had to glue/tape a couple repairs on two cars. I am continually impressed with the stickyness of the double sided cloth carpet tape.

I hope we bettered our graphite cars from last year and we have fenders this year where we didn't last year. I think Logan's oil car is about the same as last year, but has fenders and that should help in traffic.

Finished some quick tuning at 8:15pm last night and left for Omaha, we made it to our stay over in Iowa at 3am.

Looking forward to a great weekend and hoping we can make the finals.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Anyone know what cam to watch for the semi race ?
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

All of the 2015 Mid America Pinewood Derby Results are posted https://sites.google.com/site/midameric ... 15-Results

This year's event was AWESOME !!! Things ran so smooth and what an honor to have GPraceman at the event... Thank you Randy !!!
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I was glad to be able to come out and see such a big event and how well it was run. It was really cool to meet Greg and his crew and see how they use my software. It is certainly the most elaborate setup that I have ever seen, with 3 racing tracks, networked computers, projectors, monitors, and big screen TV's. All the other stuff that was there was cool as well including lego car racing, several soap box derby cars, some people dressed up in Star Wars costumes, sports team mascots, and concessions. Another big highlight was the incredible PWD car display that was there, including many antique cars and cars that were in the Down and Derby movie. There was even a car there signed by Don Murphy, the founder of the Pinewood Derby.

I enjoyed meeting a lot of people from the various derby forums, Mr. Slick, Zeebzob, QuadDad, Kinser, Quicktime, John Halliburton, BulldogRacing, The Iceman, knotthed, Brian Clark, Laserman, and several more. We may sometimes have our squabbles, but it is great that we can come together at a race and enjoy chatting and watching the races. Too bad I wasn't able to stay for The Iceman's after party to socialize some more, but I had to catch a flight home. I look forward to coming back out for another Mid-America race.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

This is absolutely AWESOME !!! It tells the whole story...of what it is like for a family to come race in the Mid America Pinewood Derby - All the way from Oregon - a contest was won ... and Dremel provided an experience of a lifetime. Congrats Team Bulldog - we hope to have you back in Omaha again.

https://youtu.be/
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Very cool. Congrats to William and Team Bulldog Racing!

birddog
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I had the pleasure of meeting Bulldog and his son. They had such a contagious excitement and enthusiasm about them. I'm glad that Dremel made it possible for them to be there.
Randy Lisano

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Congrats to William & Bulldog Racing!

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?