Outlaw Derby

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
hoss0067
Apprentice
Apprentice

Outlaw Derby

Post by hoss0067 »

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right spot for this topic or not, if not please feel free to move it to the appropriate location in the forum.

How many of have been involved with an outlaw derby? My pack is thinking about running one this year as a fundraising event. I have spoke to our pack commissioner and he does not see any problems with us doing this. I am curious about a couple things, have any of your packs done this in the past? If so, what would be a resonable dollar amount for us to charge as an entry feel, also looking at rules. I have done a google search and did find some rules but they seem to mirror the cub scout rules. I am looking for a little more freedom with wheels and axles and I would like to look at how other packs/groups have handled this, would any of you have something I can look at/use?

Thanks for the help!
Dave
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Outlaw Derby

Post by Speedster »

Howdy Dave,
We have had an Outlaw race after our Cub Scout regulation racing for the past 20 years. Because of the height of our timer we've had to have a low height limit. Your situation might be different. Basically, these are our rules.
Height - 2 1/2"
Weight - 8 ounces
Car must fit the track
Car must not interfere with another car
Gravity powered cars only
Any car that might damage the track will not be allowed to race.

All participants have a copy of our District rules so they know what it takes for the car to fit the track.

I build 10 trophies each year, paint them black with a black Cowboy hat, decorate them with stars and American flags, and screw a little metal car on them. We have no rule on wheels. My friend built an expensive car (wafer wheels, special axles, etc.) and his nephew would take 1st place every year. Our race is not for profit so there is no charge.

Best of Luck
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Outlaw Derby

Post by Stan Pope »

Think about the likely participants ... how "hard core" are they?
Do you want to allow other than BSA wheels? There are some fantastic, really low inertia wheels that can be made or bought.
What about hubs and axles? Will you allow roller bearings and/or needle axles?
Do you allow "non-standard" wheelbase?

Getting lots of participation is a key to (financial) success of this event. The rules need to match the interest and ability of most of your potential participants.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"