Mathematics Question

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Mathematics Question

Post by Speedster »

It's been said a car will travel 1.3" in 1/100 of a second so let's go with that. We raced on a 40' aluminum Freedom track in one of the Districts last year. Boy scouts were the Inspectors. Rules were stock wheelbase, graphite, 4 on the ground. We came in 3rd being very close to the 2nd place winner. The winner was 3 car lengths ahead of everyone.
I have a new Best track, Micro Wizard timer. Our fastest time on my track for the car we raced is 2.747. We raced the Mid America in 2013, Adult graphite. Beth Dawes won with a time of 2.9590. Our time was 2.9866 so we were fairly fast. Our car is a 3 wheel rail rider, Extended wheelbase, 1 gram wheels, .092 SS axles, Hershey bar design. Our cars fastest time on my track is 2.677. An approximate time difference between our two cars is 1/10 of a second or 13". Now comes a stock wheelbase car, scout axles and wheels, graphite, Hershey bar design and we are beaten by about 21". That tells me this scout would have beaten Beth Dawes. Do I have my Math Correct?
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Mathematics Question

Post by birddog »

I've found it is virtually impossible to compare times between tracks. Even the same track isn't setup the same way twice, unless very careful attention is paid to the angle of decent. This year, our car ran a 3.03 on a 42' best track test track when angle of decent was about 26.5 degrees. When the angle was changed to about 27.4 degrees, we ran a 2.96. When the same car ran on the pack's 42' best track which hand an angle of decent of about 28 degrees, the same car ran a 2.92. That is a full 1/10th of a second (an eternity in pinewood derby race times) difference, simply by how the same length and type of track is setup with varying decent angles. Thus, I think the only way to truly compare 2 cars is to run them both on the same track on the same day.

From the times you post on your Best track, I'm going to guess that you have a 35' track and not a 42' track.

birddog
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mathematics Question

Post by Speedster »

I do have a 35' track but I have mounted my timer at the end of the track instead of the way Best track mounts their timers. I wanted to get a little more distance out of the track. I think my comparisons are correct and I believe there is no way a car under the given rules can turn that time. I suspect the gentleman will be there again this year and we will meet him again. The particular pack we are racing in is not competitive so we should make it to District. We have a slightly faster car than last years but in no way are we going to make up 3 feet. This District has a Top Eliminator that races off the 1st Place winners at the end of racing so I'll stay and watch that this year. It will be interesting to see if anyone comes close to this racer. The District race is the middle of March. I'll let you know what happens.