Maximum speed a car can reach.

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Maximum speed a car can reach.

Post by Speedster »

You are given a set of very detailed rules and you follow them as closely as humanly possible. The rules will be very basic and simple. I can supply you with the fastest time turned on a specific Best track equipped with a MicroWizard timer. The car will travel 29' 10" from start pin to timer light. I can measure the exact height of the start end of the track. Hopefully either my friend or I will soon own that car. If not I will invite the owner of that car to come to my house and run his car down my track which is an identical version of our District track. My MicroWizard timer is mounted at the end of the track and the car will travel exactly 31'. I could do away with the stock track numbers completely but it would give others who race on a Best track additional information.

There are racers on DerbyTalk who build very, very Fast cars. If I could get racers that believe they can build the fastest car and mail it to me I will run it down Lane 1 of my Best track and supply you with information from a stock Best track and my extended length Best track. I would be willing to run up to 10 cars. If you mail your car to me I will pay for Priority Mail return postage. This would be done when the weather warms up which would probably be in May. There is a Limit to how fast a car can travel 31' given a certain set of rules. How close could we come to that time.

Please give this some thought. This is not a race. This is a search for information. Thank you. email me if interested in participating.
Best
Bill (Speedster)
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Maximum speed a car can reach.

Post by Scrollsawer »

I'll gladly participate. But since we don't have a track of our own to tune on before sending it in, I suspect it won't be as fast as some. Are your TBD rules for graphite or oil? I would be interested in both, as we have never run on oil, but would be interested to see how they would run with oil.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Scrollsawer wrote:I'll gladly participate. But since we don't have a track of our own to tune on before sending it in, I suspect it won't be as fast as some. Are your TBD rules for graphite or oil? I would be interested in both, as we have never run on oil, but would be interested to see how they would run with oil.

Revision...

With the M.A. happening in early May, I'd probably send in a couple of those cars.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

I'm not even in the same ball bark as many here, but I'd gladly participate with what I hope is the fastest car that we've built to date this year (or we will build another according to your rules). Email incoming....
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The cars would be graphite only. We will be using the Commodore Perry District rules which I will send to all folks participating. If you are building a 3 wheel rail rider and are unable to tune on a track, do not glue your DFW axle in unless absolutely necessary. I will get a time on the car as you have built it and then tune it for its fastest time which might be different. I will tell you the wheels and axles I use and you can choose them if you prefer. This is not intended to be a race. I'm hoping someone will build a Blazing Fast car and we will all learn his technique. I will only publish the time of the Fastest car and my time. The time of each car will be sent to each individual when his car is returned to him. We'll talk in more detail later. I'm sure the participants will have some suggestions that might help us all.

I think any rules for any class at the Mid America level would be far to lenient for these cars to be competitive.