Advice

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Maryland-Dom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Advice

Post by Maryland-Dom »

Entering adult class at local Royal Rangers PWD race. I'm running Max-V 1gram wheels. The car is currently 4.8 oz when weighed with wheels and axels.

1. The Rangers run a long track with no center guide. What would be the recommend way to mount the wheels. Should they be reversed? I plan to have only 3 wheels on the ground.
No cant.

2. If the axels aren't bent, will turning the axel with pliers still tune car? Should I bend the front one??

If anyone has experience on this track please fill me in.

Thank you in advance.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Advice

Post by Vitamin K »

Building a rail-rider of any kind is hard to achieve without at least putting some canting on the front wheel.

If you're trying to ride the "rail" on a sidewall-style track, the theory is that you'd apply negative cant to the non-lifted front wheel, and enough steer so that that wheel into the wall.

You might also need to narrow the rear end behind the dominant front wheel in order to keep it away from the sidewall.

As I've never actually built a car to these specifications, I'm not certain how well it would go for you. Perhaps some other folks here have more practical experience.
Maryland-Dom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Maryland-Dom »

Thanx for the fast reply. :thumbup:
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

Our race is in a few weeks, then I can report the results. We have no center rail, and the scouts are not allowed to "ride a rail" on the outer rails, so my tigers is built to run straight, and one of Dads cars (built identical), is built to steer into the outer left rail. Should be pretty conclusive info, once we run them side by side a few times after the race.
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.