I need of two wheels from 70s era pinewood kit

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Tom S
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Tom S »

All,

I'm glad I found this forum. In the 70's entering a race my second competition. At weigh in we were asked to make our final adjustments to the car. When doing so I dropped my entry and cracked two wheels. The previous year I came in third and the winners from last year were asked to be on display. The committee talked to other dads and racers to see if I could borrow two wheels from my third place car on display. The support and sportsmanship that day is something I will not forget. I did not place that year but a great memory all the same.

My forum question is the only surviving car from my by gone pinewood days is missing two of the hard plastic wheels from the 70's era kits. No writing or spokes just tread. Is there any source that sells these old wheels or kits?

Thank you

Tom
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: I need of two wheels from 70s era pinewood kit

Post by Speedster »

Hi Tom,
Send an email to member whodathunkit. Do you have a picture of the wheel?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi Tom & :welcome
So is the car a BSA kit type or a different kit type?

.http://shop.betacrafts.com/ for the 1956 kits.. Note: there out of stock however! For the BSA
Kit type.
Tom S wrote: My forum question is the only surviving car from my by gone pinewood days is missing two of the hard plastic wheels from the 70's era kits. No writing or spokes just tread.

So no CMI lettering or spokes used on your 70's era car! ( It must be very early 70's.)
Some of the first kits in the BSA 1956 kit style from Beta Crafts were used into the early 70's as well.

What about an inner hub.. is there an inner hub also used with your wheel style?
Here are some pic's I'll share two different wheel styles that were used for the first kit types in the 1956 kit style .

The wheels seen at the very top & in the bottom right hand side of the wheels photo way below use hubs and have a wider tread patch then the wheels seen in the bottom left hand side of the photo.. That are the 1956 Beta Crafts wheels. (first type) with no hub & using a smaller tread patch.

The wheels that are using a hub are from an 8 car bulk set ..(Cub Scout version kit)
That I've been trying to put a true date to for when first used but can only date as far back as 1963 for a date to this wider tread and hub style.
pic of the 8 car bulk Cub Scout version kit:
Image Image
Here's the pic of the wheels used in this Cub Scout version kit. ( seen in sets of 4 wheels on top & to the lower right hand side.)
Along with some 1956 Beta Crafts wheels.(Seen to the lower left hand side.)
View of the tread width styles.. left hand side wheel using the hub. And right hand side wheel 1956 Beta Crafts wheel.
(Note: the wheel using the hub has a wider tread patch then the 1956 Beta Crafts wheel.)
Pic of 2 cars I have in a collection with this wider wheel style. ( note: the different wheel base's and kit styles on the cars as well!)
Image ( This is why i'm asking about the hub!)
Here's an 11/74 printing with a kit add showing a car style seen as a 1956 kit type.
Then there is.. also this Nov Dec 1974 Scouting Magazine vol 62, number 8, page 6 printing!
check out what's said in new version of an old winner for the CMI kit years.( Seen to lower left and top middle.)
Here is a pic of the Cub Scout wheel style with wider tread & hub.. next to the 1974 or 1977 CMI Grand Prix wheels..also using a hub & CMI lettering and spokes.
Some pic's of the CMI Grand Prix kits in the later 70's era.
With the catalog numbers for the 8 car bulk & single kits that match the catalog numbers.. seen in the new version of an old winner page.
Back view of the single kit types as seen above in last pic.
The first kit in this type also used the wooden axle supports with the large head axle type as the 1956 kits. But had a set back front axle!
Then later changed to saw notches and smaller nail head axle type some time close to the 80's.. and then also used threw the 80's.

Some pic's of what some of 80's kit's would look like.
8 car bulk set.
Singles kits in plastic packaging.
And then some in single boxed packaging.
And then some of the first packaged wheel kits.

For more info on the kits used over the years:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5613

Tom, I have lots of PWD wheels and different year styles..
And I would be happy to help you out with the wheel type you need to get your car fixed.
( Just send word to me by email or a PM if you would like.. like Speedster said below!)
Speedster wrote: Send an email to member whodathunkit. Do you have a picture of the wheel?
Thank you Speedster! ;)

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?