How to build a car to epically fail?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
BondUniverse
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BondUniverse »

There's a TON of info out there about how to build the fastest car, but I want build a car that is purpose built to fail!

A little background...

I've just started to help out a cubscout pack that is largely special needs. The Cubmaster has someone that builds her a car that is purpose built to fall apart before ever getting near the finish line (guaranteeing the scout that challenges her will win). This helps with self esteem building for these scouts, which is something that special needs kids need.

I always love a challenge and thinking outside of the box. I would love to create a car that not only fails, but fails in a way that will be fun and entertaining to the scouts. Looking for ideas - surprisingly, I've been coming up empty handed in my Google searches. I've thought about making a car that will "explode" partway down the track, but not sure how to make it function (oh, while I want it to look somewhat legit, it won't be part of the official race, so it doesn't have to meet the normal requirements). I'm open to other ideas as well.

Any thought? Ideas? Examples that maybe someone has done before?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to build a car to epically fail?

Post by Speedster »

I have a car almost the size of a Pinewood Derby car and it is decorated with "McDonald" stickers that came with the model. Because of the small size, one unit, of the Losi Mini-T receiver/speed control, I was able to make the McDonald's model radio controlled. Now you don't have to worry about it beating someone. Just run down the track half way and then stop it and back it up, even backing it up the hill if you like. The rear tires are of a rubber that the slot cars use. In fact the whole thing is nothing but a radio controlled slot car. CAUTION !!! You don't want to be running "Wide Open" when you run out of track or you're going to get your "Exploding Car".

There are cars on the Derbytalk search function that were built to finish last. That's some interesting reading.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

This sound like a car that's right up my alley! I Have all kinds of thoughts rolling around in my head for this car now!

One is to cut the axle in half in side the wheel bore so the wheels could drive off the axles!
Glue the axle head part to the wheel so it looks like it's being held on.

Maybe use a mouse trap to make the car body explode like the old out house toys did when you opened the door.

I think you have the right idea here for a hole lot of fun BondUniverse!

And Welcome!
Whoda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by whodathunkit on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
BondUniverse
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BondUniverse »

I actually have one of those mousetrap outhouses! Also had a thought of trying to do some sort of magnetic trigger (sticking a magnet under the track, but not sure how to do that). I also just realized that I have a roughly matchbox sized RC car somewhere too...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

I built a car once for our leader. I took a large washer that just fit inside the rear wheels. I cut the washer in half with a hacksaw, then glued a half washer into each of the rear wheels. Other than that the car was normal. When it went down the track, it would go "Whoop, whoop, whoop ..." as the rear wheels spun. It always made it to the finish line, but could not get up enough speed to beat anyone.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

BondUniverse wrote:I actually have one of those mousetrap outhouses! Also had a thought of trying to do some sort of magnetic trigger (sticking a magnet under the track, but not sure how to do that).
Don't know myself on that one!

Could a timer of some sort be set to explode the car body at about half track!
kinda like the old board games ... Perfection or don't wake Daddy ... the trick would be setting it to go off at 1 sec or so after the gate drops though.
Just throwing some thoughts out here.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

How about a simple propeller car but run the motor in reverse. It would probably go down the hill but at some point it would stop and try to back up the hill. I doubt it would be able to make it to the top. That should make everyone laugh.
What kind of track do you have? What's the clearance on your timer?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: There are cars on the Derbytalk search function that were built to finish last. That's some interesting reading.
http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5060 ;)
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Then there is this one that I ran across!
https://www.inventables.com/projects/be ... ted-car--2
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

whodathunkit wrote:Then there is a one that I ran across!
https://www.inventables.com/projects/be ... ted-car--2
Pretty cool. Though, it looks like it is designed to fall apart upon impact with something. The challenge would be to make something fall apart while still going down the track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Yeah your right!
However when the car sets on the track it's facing down hill.. maybe with a some re-work to the design here .
A ball bearing track could be made to let the ball bearing roll back while coming out of the curve in the flat of the track to snap the trap ?
Might not snap the trap off at half track .. but i bet by the time all the parts fly off it will end up half track or more.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Speedster wrote:How about a simple propeller car but run the motor in reverse. It would probably go down the hill but at some point it would stop and try to back up the hill. I doubt it would be able to make it to the top. That should make everyone laugh.
What kind of track do you have? What's the clearance on your timer?
I built an electric car for an Outlaw class last year that I inadvertently wired in reverse. It went down the incline then back up. You're right Speedster, everyone will laugh.
kcarchitect
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by kcarchitect »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNt2O4EjfhM

I wonder if you could make a multi piece car body that would trip like these things and literally explode!