Ford/STEAM Derby rules

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Ford/STEAM Derby rules

Post by Speedster »

I have the rules the Girl Scouts used to race the New York race. They are very basic. Extended wheelbase is allowed. It didn't say holes or slots so I'm going to assume either. 4 on the ground. I think what they did was to take the rules from a local Cub Scout Pack in Detroit and simply use the rules. I have been emailing back and forth with a lady at The Michigan Council of Women in Technology, Ford is a big sponsor of this group. I was introduced to 4 ladies at Ford, some of them the President at one time or another of The Michigan Council of Women in Technology. They individually emailed me back wishing me well. That was very nice of them. I have finally, I think, gotten the names of two women from Judy Asher. Judy works at Ford. The two ladies I think ran the show and probably set the rules for the New York race.

Here is my plan. The STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, math) program is what's important here, both to Ford and the MCWT group. I'm going to try to get Ford to adopt The Mid America rules for the Girl Scouts for this particular race. That's going to allow the girls more choices then what they have now and the chance to learn more. The Mid America rules fit what the STEAM program is all about. If Ford expands this, I've got to get Ohio to be one of the states. For those of you who follow college football, there is a Big rivalry between Ohio State and Michigan state. Just think, the Ohio State car, Red and Grey with Ohio State stickers all over it and the Michigan State car a beautiful Blue with Michigan State stickers all over it. That would be Great.
I'll let you know what happens.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ford/STEAM Derby rules

Post by gpraceman »

I wish you luck.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Tracy Magee from Ford emailed me to say "Hello" before I could write to her. That was so very nice of her and gives me the feeling she's going to take the time to listen to me. She's out of the office until Wednesday and then will contact me. I keep hoping.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Boo on the "four on the ground" rules. Besides, a raised wheel invites a great physics talk.