Commodore Perry District race.

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Commodore Perry District race.

Post by Speedster »

We had our District race today. I'm in charge of the Pit. A few overweight cars but other then that there were no problems. It was a wonderful day. I, and another adult, helped a scout with his car. We all worked hard on the car. I have a 35' Best track in my garage and the car was turning times we felt it would be very competitive. The first track we race on is a 35' Best track. Our scouts car was 12" ahead of everyone else at the finish line but was turning times posted the same as last year. He was one of the 8 top fastest and moved to the 40' Freedom track. Again, he was 12" ahead of everyone else at the finish line. I knew we were running good but I never anticipated what happened. The competition simply wasn't there this year. He enjoyed his 1st place trophy but I explained to him this wasn't a normal happening and we cannot let up for next year. He agreed and is willing to put in the effort it's going to take to build a fast car for next year. We'll start work as soon as the weather warms up in Ohio.
I'm looking forward to next year.
Best
speedster
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Commodore Perry District race.

Post by ZebsRacing »

Congrats on the good performance! On to Councils? Why does it seems like every District is having the same problems in getting EVERYONE excited about one of the most important passages of rights in Cub Scouts? It seems like every district is experiencing waning interest in PWD?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

We do not have a council race. Rules vary among the districts. Two of the districts actually have that Dreaded "4 on the Ground Rule".
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I learned at our district race the Lions will not be allowed to compete at the District level. Too much of that "Winning and Losing stuff". They will not stop the racing at the Pack level so we will be having them race at our Pack in 2018. I have no objections to the District decision. They may well be 100% correct.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote:I learned at our district race the Lions will not be allowed to compete at the District level. Too much of that "Winning and Losing stuff". They will not stop the racing at the Pack level so we will be having them race at our Pack in 2018. I have no objections to the District decision. They may well be 100% correct.
Lions got banned from our District race too, for "safety" reasons, apparently. Sounds dumb to me, but I wasn't in a position to argue.

That said, we do have a "siblings" category, and if any under-6 kids show up with cars, I'm not gonna stop 'em...

I will be lobbying for inclusion of Lions at the District level next year.
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ZebsRacing »

The Lions raced at our district, my problem with it is at that age what can the kid really do to help build it? The only thing I could think of was painting it, at that point its pretty much a dads race. Out of all the dens, the Lions looked to have the most "ebay" cars
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm looking forward to working with the Lions. What 5 year old wouldn't be excited about picking out a design for a car, drawing it on the car and building their very own car with their Dad. They might end up being the most interested group of all.
Run the cars down the track one at a time, let them light up the timer, and give them all a treat if that makes everyone happy.
I just finished working with a young handicapped boy and his little sister that attend our church. Their eyes lit up and their smiles so wide all through the build. I'll be taking my track in next Sunday and we'll tune their rail riders. I'm excited and I know they will be too.
Best
Speedster