2017 Ford Fast Track Races

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

2017 Ford Fast Track Races

Post by gpraceman »

Ford is doing another race series this year for Girl Scouts. They have gone from 4 races last year to 8 races this year.

https://social.ford.com/content/ford-st ... races.html

Locations:
1. Denver – September 30
2. Miami – October 15
3. Atlanta – October 21
4. New Jersey – October 25
5. Detroit – October 28
6. Chicago – November 3
7. Dallas – November 11
8. San Gorgonio – November 18

Unfortunately, they didn't do much revision of the rules. Still there is the 4 on the floor rule (ugh). I have to scratch my head on the axle diameter rule. Also, the wheel diameter and tread width measurements are off from the go/no-go gauge they will be using. However, I really do not expect that they will be so nit picky at check-in, unless it is a blatant issue.

I will be helping out at each of these races this year. I am excited to be involved in these. I had a blast last year at the two races that I was able to help out with as well as the Today Show finals race (despite the freezing cold).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 2017 Ford Fast Track Races

Post by Vitamin K »

Would be nice if they expanded this to a Nation-wide thing on a local level with open participation (races hosted at car dealerships?)...and then Ford could host a big National championship or something. :)

Also, yeah, those rules...holding my nose here. Here's to hoping they actually run the final race down each lane for each car, eh? :)
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

I've never seen a BSA wheel that meets the "The wheel diameter may not be less than or greater than 1.25″. " rule. I wonder what kits they are using?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Randy, CONGRATULATIONS on all you do. Ford is very fortunate to have you.
Will you be working with the scouts from Denver as they build their cars? I'd like to see a 1/4" car go down the track in the final race. A railrider would be interesting. Maybe you could show them the video, "Easy Pinewood Derby car WINS using science". I think they would enjoy that.
I wish all the scouts the very Best.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bracketracer wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:44 am I've never seen a BSA wheel that meets the "The wheel diameter may not be less than or greater than 1.25″. " rule. I wonder what kits they are using?
As far as I know, they are using BSA kits.

Where they got that wheel rule is a head scratcher.
Speedster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:59 am Will you be working with the scouts from Denver as they build their cars?
I will only be working the races, not helping with the car builds. As far as I know, it's the applicable GS Councils that are distributing the kits and putting on build workshops.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Getting ready for the Denver area race on Saturday.

Here's an article in a local Boulder paper, http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-coun ... derby-cars
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I think what Ford is intending to promote is being missed. This is not the young scouts fault, it's adults fault. Ford's intention is to follow STEM, or STEAM, as Ford now calls it. That is what should be taught as the activity and it should be taught to all scouts. Absolutely everything should be concentrated on speed for this race. All scouts should be shown the video, "Easy Pinewood Derby Car WINS Using Science" and then listening to a lecture. If you then want to build your car that looks like a block of cheese, OK. At least you have learned the science behind building a fast car. I am eagerly looking forward to Ford's next race to see if a Girl Scout from Dallas wins it again.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Well, there is a design competition that is part of the Ford races. As such, not everyone will want to build a fast car. STEAM vs. STEM is not just a Ford thing. The A stands for arts, acknowledging the contribution that arts have for our society. To only focus on speed, to me, will stifle creativity. Though, I do understand what you are saying about learning the science aspect of the race, even if going for design.

After reading the Boulder Daily Camera article, I have to wonder about how the workshops were organized. Maybe it was left up to the troops to organize for their girls, at least with this council. I like what the Phoenix Council is doing, putting on an organized workshop and getting Ford participating. Though, the Phoenix event is not part of the 8 city race series this year.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I like what the Phoenix Council is doing too.
My apology to Scout Ainsley Dye. I should have kept my opinion to myself. She never said she was building her car as a BLOCK of cheese. She might well be building her car as a 1/4" SLICE of cheese.

GOOOOOO AINSLEY !
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

We had the Colorado race on Saturday in FT Collins, CO and all went very well. With the pit area and practice track being available, every single car was able to cross the finish line, which is great to see. The next race will be Oct 15 in Miami, at the Homestead Miami Speedway.

Someone was asking where the Detroit race was going to be held. It will be at the First United Methodist Church of Troy, MI.

The rules have been revised for the remainder of the races. Gone is the 4 on the floor rule. Gone is that axles cannot be canted. Gone is the minimum axle diameter rule. The minimum wheel width and diameter rule has been revised to make more sense (minimum width of 0.32" and minimum diameter of 1.17"). The underbody clearance rule has been modified to reflect that any car with less than a 3/8" clearance will be checked on the track to see if there are truly any interference issues.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I'm the one who wants to attend the Detroit Race. Toledo, OH is very close to Troy, MI. I'm curious to see what the cars look like.
Randy, I have a feeling you are the one who got the rules changed. What a great job. You surely are an asset to The Girl Scouts and Ford Motor Co.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Randy, do you have any pictures of the Colorado race? Might we see some, especially the winners.
Was there anyone there from Ford?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Sorry, I don't have any photos of the Colorado race. I ended up being too busy and forgot to take any. Hopefully, the GS council will post some photos on their site.

At each event there will be a couple of female Ford engineers helping out and doing the awards ceremony.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Could we get a copy of the rules?
How many scouts competed in the Colorado race? Nice to hear Ford had two Engineers at the race. That's very impressive.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

They should post the updated rules on the site linked in my first post.

They are expecting about 100 racers per event. A bit smaller races this year compared to last, but twice as many races. The Colorado race was about that size.
Randy Lisano