2017 Ford Fast Track Races

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2017 Ford Fast Track Races

Post by gpraceman »

They did post the updated rules on the Ford site. Not perfect, certainly, but much better than they were. Rules should be a working document that get refined over time.

I'm looking forward to the Miami race this weekend.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I thought I'd stay on this topic since it seemed appropriate.
I saw on National News the Boy Scouts will be inviting the Girl Scouts to join them in 2018. WOW! Maybe scouting will have a new name such as "USA scout".
It will be interesting to see this progress. Maybe a young girl will then have the opportunity to join the USA Scouts and reach the rank of Eagle.
I wish them well.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Yeah, well, seems like a sign of desperation due to declining membership. Seems GS getting upset about this is a bit of hypocrisy, as I saw a boy dressed up in a GS uniform at the last Fast Track race. Anyways, we digress from the original topic.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The Miami race was held on Sunday and went very well. I've got some photos posted to the GrandPrix Software Central Facebook page. Some I took and ones that the GS council had posted.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thanks for the photos. Is Ford supplying the same track for each of these races?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

We are using two tracks from last years races. One is for racing on and the other is used as a test track during check-in. All the gear is packed up, loaded into a trailer and driven to the next race.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Do these races tend to start at the same time? I'd like to be there at the beginning. It will take me an hour to reach Troy, MI.
Thank You.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The start times do vary. I'll PM you the info.
Randy Lisano

pineisfine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pineisfine »

That's a pretty cool looking set-up...does anyone know the track and timer they are using?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pineisfine wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:29 pm That's a pretty cool looking set-up...does anyone know the track and timer they are using?
Best Track track with a lift kit and a Champ timer.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

How did the races go in Atlanta? Would you have a picture of the winning car?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Speedster wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 am How did the races go in Atlanta? Would you have a picture of the winning car?
Unfortunately, at the end, I get very busy so I haven't been able to get many photos of the winners, much less their cars.

Atlanta was another good race. A bit smaller of a crowd, but the most enthusiastic so far. I've posted some photos of the race on the GrandPrix Software Central Facebook page.

The New Jersey race is Wednesday and then Detroit on Saturday. Three races in 8 days, whew...
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I am fascinated by everything about these races and what you are doing. I'm getting the feeling you are doing a whole lot more then checking to see if your software is working properly. Does Ford have a team that sets up and takes down these tracks and other things in the display? That has got to be a lot of work.
Looking forward to seeing the Saturday races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

There's 3 of us as the regular crew. Myself and one other flies into each event and the other drives the trailer from city to city. We 3 do most of the setup, tear down and pack up of all the gear. We usually have at least 8 local volunteers that help out with everything. The Match Marketing Group coordinates everything for us, so it is a big team effort. I'm the tech guy, so I am responsible for the setup and tear down of the tracks, helping in the pit area, running the computer, helping coordinate the volunteers, and helping with anything else that needs to be done.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

My wife and I attended the Detroit races today and it was Great. There were about 100 Girl Scouts racing. Randy had a set up where there wasn't much time spent between cars going down the track. It wasn't rushed but he kept them moving. It was a noisy crowd and a lot of enthusiasm. It was Great.
I was eager to see the shape of the winning car for speed. Here is a DETAILED description of the winning car. It was a simple WEDGE, stock wheelbase, and it was FAST !!! I do not know if it was a rail rider but it was fast. The final race was very exciting. Lots of very close races.
Randy's crew had a nice set-up from Ford where they would challenge the scouts to solve some problems involving science. That was very interesting.
I'll try to get some pictures posted soon.