2017 Ford Fast Track Races

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2017 Ford Fast Track Races

Post by gpraceman »

Whew, what a week. Atlanta, New Jersey and Detroit races are all done. I didn't get a chance to take many photos during the Detroit race, but the few I did are posted on the GrandPrix Software Central page. It was great to be able to meet Speedster and his wife in person.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Did I mention how efficient Randy Lisano is? He has already posted pictures of all the beautiful cars. What a guy. Ford, the Girl Scouts of America, and so many others owe him so much. Thanks Randy. It was great to meet you.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:52 am Did I mention how efficient Randy Lisano is? He has already posted pictures of all the beautiful cars. What a guy. Ford, the Girl Scouts of America, and so many others owe him so much. Thanks Randy. It was great to meet you.
Very cool. Y'all have been corresponding digitally for a long time, it's cool that you finally got to meet face to face!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Randy, How did the Chicago race go? Would you happen to have a picture of the winning car for speed?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The winning car would likely be disappointing to most. Chicago was not the usual race. The GS Council used the race as an opportunity to reach out to disadvantaged girls. They had them all come to a couple of workshops to work on their cars. There they had a couple of carpenters that cut out the cars for the girls. Most did not have much shaping to them at all. The girls were then able to paint and decorate their cars with the help of some GS leaders. This was all minus parents. The night before the race, our crew did a once over on the cars. We had to replace many of the wheels and axles, as it seems that no one had told the girls not to paint the wheels and paint got in the wheel bores. All of the girls were bused in for the race and no parents were there. The girls got their cars run down the test track, registered their cars and then got a pizza lunch. The girls looked to have had fun at the race, which is the most important thing. At all of these races, the girls go home with a goody bag of stuff.

A few photos are posted on the GrandPrix Software Central Facebook page.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The young ladies of every one of these races are blessed because they have you. They will remember their Pinewood Derby forever.
Bless You.
Bill
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Speedster wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:47 pm The young ladies of every one of these races are blessed because they have you. They will remember their Pinewood Derby forever.
I'm just one part of a very big team putting on these races.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

A very big part. The scouts don't realize how fortunate they are to have you. People were in awe watching the computer screen.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Randy, thanks for the pictures and especially the Super Great pictures of the cars in the Dallas race. I Love the Hershey Bar car and the WEDGE shaped cars that dominated the number of cars entered. A Big Thank You to whoever it was that taught these young scouts STEAM. I think the people at Ford are smiling. I haven't forgotten it was a Dallas Girl Scout that won the race in New York.
I wish you and the Team the very Best with your final race.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The Dallas race went very smoothly, with 95 girl scouts racing. A flight museum is a really cool place to hold a race! After the race, we got a tour of their other hangers. Lots of vintage planes, including my favorite, a P-51 Mustang. They even have a Sherman tank and we got to climb down in it. Some photos posted on the GrandPrix Software Central Facebook page. Our last race is coming up Saturday, in the San Bernardino area.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Well, we had the last of the Ford Fast Track Races for Girl Scouts in the San Bernardino area on Saturday. We finished off well. My oldest son was even able to help out at the race. He is in the Navy and stationed at Port Hueneme. It has been really fun for me to help out with the races and I hope that Ford chooses to continue these races in 2018.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

How Great your son was able to be there. That surely made it special.
Thanks for all the wonderful pictures. I see a lot of STEAM in those cars.
Do you have the time for the winning car in each of the races? Just curious. I hope this Activity is published in some Girl Scout National Magazine. I think it will continue to grow.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The best times on that track this season were:

Brownies - 3.1305 secs (Miami, FL race)
Juniors - 3.1286 secs (Ft Collins, CO race)
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thanks for the Info. A race between those 2 cars would be interesting to see.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Unfortunately, it is not looking like Ford will be doing the Fast Track races for 2018. I'm holding out some slim hope that they may still put something together, but it does not seem likely. That's too bad, as I think the girls were having fun and getting a lot out of it.
Randy Lisano