Are 2009 wheel bores on an angle

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Hodges Hobby House shows pictures of the 2009 wheel and says there is a "Bore Squish", Larger in the center and smaller on the ends. I can't tell when I polish the bores. Are the ends exactly the same size? More often then not, when setting up a car to rail ride, the rear wheels will migrate to the nail heads when rolling the car both forward or rearward. I install the axle with the Derbyworx tool and try to get the axles in as straight as possible because of our rules. I can find no information on How a Pinewood Derby wheel is made.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Are 2009 wheel bores on an angle

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:41 am Hodges Hobby House shows pictures of the 2009 wheel and says there is a "Bore Squish", Larger in the center and smaller on the ends. I can't tell when I polish the bores. Are the ends exactly the same size? More often then not, when setting up a car to rail ride, the rear wheels will migrate to the nail heads when rolling the car both forward or rearward. I install the axle with the Derbyworx tool and try to get the axles in as straight as possible because of our rules. I can find no information on How a Pinewood Derby wheel is made.
Given that the mold is ejected from the inside of the wheel, wouldn't it make sense that there'd be a slight taper in the bore to allow for easy part removal? That said, I don't believe that a tapered bore is an issue when running canted axles. In fact, it seems like it would cause a perfectly straight axle to ride with a slight negative camber?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

VK, I hope you're right. That's what I'm counting on. We are not allowed to run canted wheels and the wheels seem to always go to the axle head instead of the car body. That is exactly what I want to happen. The wheels will sit "Straight up and Down" per our rules.
I'm assuming the 3 "dots" have something to do with the ejection process. I'd be interested to know exactly how the wheel is ejected. Do you know?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:07 am VK, I hope you're right. That's what I'm counting on. We are not allowed to run canted wheels and the wheels seem to always go to the axle head instead of the car body. That is exactly what I want to happen. The wheels will sit "Straight up and Down" per our rules.
I'm assuming the 3 "dots" have something to do with the ejection process. I'd be interested to know exactly how the wheel is ejected. Do you know?
I don't know much about the molding process, unfortunately. The three dots are likely where the injection points are for the mold.

FWIW, I have heard you can put 1 degree of camber on your rears and they will sit flat, but it will be enough to cause the wheels to migrate outwards.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster and Vk,
I don't know how the BSA wheels are
mold injected for sure.
How ever check out Max V's news letter
On the making of his Max V wheels.
May 5th 2017 news letter!
There is some good info along with photos to check out.

And it's probably close to how the BSA wheels are mold injected as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

whodathunkit wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 pm Speedster and Vk,
I don't know how the BSA wheels are
mold injected for sure.
How ever check out Max V's news letter
On the making of his Max V wheels.
May 5th 2017 news letter!
There is some good info along with photos to check out.

And it's probably close to how the BSA wheels are mold injected as well.
Good call, Whoda! That was a very fascinating article.

Here's the link: http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... mes-v11i8/
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

My bad.. VK,
I did say his news letter like you linked above..
However it was his Blog page dated may 5th 2017 that i was thinking of.
That can also be seen at : http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... -mv-wheel/

Did you happen to catch the part of the custom graphite electrodes used to etch in the fine detail work in the molds.
For the lettering and spokes for the wheels.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?