Christmas Pinewood Derby Race

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Christmas Pinewood Derby Race

Post by whodathunkit »

Twas the night before Christmas, while out in the shop, there wasn't any machinery running or saw dust in sight.

The presents were all wrapped. The lights were all lit. So I figured I'd mess around with cutting out a new Pinewood Derby car pattern of a Corvette for a bit.

As I started the saw and proceeded to cut, a deep voice behind me said, "Say! That looks pretty good!" Well, as you can imagine, stopping the saw, I turned mighty quick, and right there by my work bench stood good ol' Saint Nick!

We stood there a bit, not sure what to say. Then he said, "I have been delivering these race car kits since some time way back in 1956. Don't suppose you'd trade your car for a kit out in my sleigh?"

I said, "No way, Santa!", and started to grin. "But if you've got the time to make your own we'll stage a race and go for a spin!"

His round little mouth, all tied up like a bow, turned into a smile while finishing up his car saying, "Hey! Let's roll!"

So as not to disturb all the neighbor's sleep, he and I pushed the Pinewood Derby track out into the street. Then staging our cars to roll downhill, I let him pull back on the lever to let the start gate spill.

The sound that erupted took him by surprise, but he liked it a lot by the look in his eyes. With the BSA wheels a cryin', making tracks in the snow, we headed to the finish line where all the Pinewood Derby race cars go.

Santa's grin widened, approaching his ears. His fist was clinched and elbow bent, just like as if he were shifting gears. Then he yelled, "Can't recall when I felt so alive!" As we approached the time flashing on the finish line system, he shook at the knees.

I just stood there at a loss for words. Then I heard him exclaim, "Was that a fast time?", as he blasted from sight.

Merry Christmas to all......what a great night!

To only imagine what it must of been like to be a kid back then.
The December 1955 Cub Scout supply catalog Kit add.
Merry Christmas to all on Derby Talk!
Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Christmas Pinewood Derby Race

Post by Speedster »

GOOD ONE, Whoda.

Merry Christmas to you. You are a man of many talents.
Last edited by Speedster on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Christmas Pinewood Derby Race

Post by whodathunkit »

Merry Christmas to you as well Speedster..
And Happy New Year!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?