Theme Race

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.

Theme Race

Like the Idea
50%
Don't Like the Idea
17%
Indifferent
33%

Total votes: 6

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Theme Race

Post by gpraceman »

Saw this article and rather liked the idea of a race theme. Build the cars to the theme. Have an award for best use of theme. What do you think?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Theme Race

Post by Darin McGrew »

Sounds like it could be fun.

However, not all themes are created equal. The example theme (Robots) is broad enough to allow a lot of creativity within the theme. But I other kid-suggested themes might not work as well.

And some kids (and adults) start planning next year's car almost immediately after this year's race (if not sooner). It might be disappointing to them to discover that their labor-of-love design doesn't fit the theme selected for next year's derby.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Back in the day of the Cub Scout Program Quarterly's there where themes for pinewood derby events.

1955 Theme Wheels Wings & things.
To name a few more themes... winter of 1956-57 Americas trail blazers car's were covered wagons or viking ships.
Feb of 1959.. Carnival of Colors cars were Circus wagons with animals.
Some later themes were Transportation,.. Harbors, Stations & Airports, My Home State.. and so on.

I like the Idea of Themes .. but I'm also on the fence about the idea and say let the kids vote for the idea of a themed race to build there cars for.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Great idea. However, if the picture shows the total amount of awards given for the Design competition, I suspect there will be some resistance.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Speedster wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:13 amHowever, if the picture shows the total amount of awards given for the Design competition, I suspect there will be some resistance.
Ah, I hadn't noticed that. Yeah, we make a point of awarding at least as many design awards as race awards. I would think that that would be even more important in a derby with some sort of design theme.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

If we were do a themed race, we would have a separate prize for the car with the best theme. Maybe include the car driver (so to speak) in that, so they could dress to the theme.

While the kids could certainly give theme ideas, the adults would need to filter out the unrealistic or too hard to do themes.

Before the end of the current race, have someone pick one of the themes from a hat. "Next year's race theme is ______________, so start thinking of ideas for your car." That would give the early birds a start.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

McDonald's

Wouldn't that be a sight ?