2 Lane Finish Line Detector

DIY timing systems
Commander Dan
Apprentice
Apprentice

2 Lane Finish Line Detector

Post by Commander Dan »

Need plans to build my own 2 Lane Finish Line Detector. It can be as simple as lighting up which lane crossed first. I do not need the times. We are a small group who likes to just race for fun and we want to simply the process and make it easier to decide who corssed first.
Commander Dan
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2 Lane Finish Line Detector

Post by gpraceman »

Commander Dan wrote:Need plans to build my own 2 Lane Finish Line Detector. It can be as simple as lighting up which lane crossed first. I do not need the times. We are a small group who likes to just race for fun and we want to simply the process and make it easier to decide who corssed first.
Hello Dan,

The best place to go for a list of DITY systems is the Electronic Finish Lines (Do-It-Yourself Systems) page of GrandPrix Race Central.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

I have a new design in the works for a 2 or 3 lane finish line with blinking LED winner display that uses IR remote control photo diodes instead of photo transistors (much better tolerance of sunlight) Part cost is similar to photo transistor units! Runs on 2 AA batteries. If you're interested email or PM me and I'll send you schematics.
Terry
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

Here is my schematic for a 2 or 3 lane FinishLine. The 12F629 is a Microchip flash micro $1.75ea USF. The PhotoIC is a PNA4701M $1.47ea USF. It has a photodiode front end, AGC and a filter tuned to 46.7kHz. The PIC pulses the IR LEDs at 46.7kHz and debounces the photoIC outputs. PIC inputs switch to outputs to flash the winning lane LED when a car is detected.
Terry