Daytona Timer by Newbold

Commercial timing systems
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Daytona Timer by Newbold

Post by Mike Parrish »

Has anyone had any experience with the new Daytona timer made by Newbold products?

I am helping a friend spec out a new timer and software. Both of the "major" derby software vendors support the Daytona timer. It is the most inexpensive of the 3 I have checked out.

I have a Newbold DTX2000, and love it for testing.

They use a FastTrack timer at the state race and there doesn't appear to be any problems with it.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Daytona Timer by Newbold

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

Having gone through the same agony a few times on timing systems for R/C cars and Windsurfer racing, I can advise all top end timers will work and work well. However, buy the most rugged timer you can swing. We just ordered a full six lane Derby package from Wizard this morning along with a NEW larger remote time display they are Beta testing now.

I looked at the Daytona its looks like a great system!
Likes LARGE LEDS! <-- If the Wizzard had this I would say they have the flat out best.
Like the Derby TV <-- DIG IT DIG IT DIG IT! But see below
Like the clean design of the timer unit.
Like the COST!

I did not order it because;
1) Although I LOVE the larger LED readouts BUT they are in need of a case to protect them the modular design with the 9 pin plugs will be an issue when an excited scout comes in contact with the bridge.
2) No Lane display for the times unless you use Derby TV a GREAT idea but who has an extra large screen TV to act as a scoreboard? If you do you can use the monitor output from your laptop to drive a screen doing the same thing with Grand Prix Race Software plus sounds.
3) The timer off the side of the bridge with times showing on it is asking for kids / dads and moms to crowd there and bump into it. Unless you use Derby TV and put tape over the display.

If they or you build a cover for the LED bridge they could have a real winner! Its looks too weak for rugged use year after year of abuse.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

I was a little concerned about the fragile appearance too. Decisions, decisions... :D
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

It may be okay or just build a case around the bridge.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Packdude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Packdude »

I have just purchased the Daytona timer. I have a 6-lane aluminum track and when I set up the timer, there is a noticable bow or dip in the middle after adding the led displays (one side). I want to add another set of led's so that they can be veiwed from both sides, but was worried about the bridge modules being able to hold the weight. I contacted Craig Newbold and he is going to replace the 2 inch straps that connect each module together with (I believe) an L shaped aluminum bracket that will go across the entire track. He also suggested securing the U shaped supports on wide tracks to keep them from tipping inward. I did notice that the supports were tipping inward and the 'dip' was much less if I held the legs flat on the surface.
My question is has anyone else tried using this timer outdoors? I have been unable to get it to work outside. It works great in my dining room! However, we tend to do our derbies outside here in Florida. Anyone else had this problem?
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Outside take some black tape put it over the sensor holes and make a PIN hole to cut down the amount of light that gets in. Every outdoor race I have to do this. Works great! I use an Exacto knife to put a tiny hole in the tape.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Packdude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Packdude »

That works with the FastTrack timer where the reciever is in the track, but with the Daytona, the IR transmitter is in the track and the receiver is on the bottom of the bridge modules.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Packdude wrote:That works with the FastTrack timer where the reciever is in the track, but with the Daytona, the IR transmitter is in the track and the receiver is on the bottom of the bridge modules.
If that is the case, then all you could do is provide as much shade over the finish line as you can.

Craig, you out there?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

If they are exposed then you can take heat shrink tubing and make slip covers for them. Slide on and off for out door use or indoor use :idea:

If they are not exposed and have a lens then block 99% of the lens to reduce the light.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Packdude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Packdude »

I have some heat shrink tubing to try, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. It was also suggested to paint that section of the track black, however after spending almost $2,000 for an anodized aluminum track, I am a little hesitant to start spray painting it. I am going to try laying a piece of black fabric across the area first to see if that blocks the stray IR.
Packdude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Packdude »

gpraceman wrote:
Craig, you out there?
:D
I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Craig and Michelle both regarding this issue. The suggestion provided was to lengthen the tubing around the sensor to limit the stray IR, which I am going to try as soon as possible. Another suggestion was to paint the area around the IR transmisttors black, which I'm not in a hurry to do.
We did shade the end of the track, but it was not covered. For our district derby, we will be under the 10X20 canopies that troops & packs use (aluminum tubing & a tarp).
Also, someone else mentioned parents looking at the timer display and kids knocking over the timer bridge. When I do a derby, I keep everyone away from the electronics. I install the finish line sensors as we assemble the track, but the rest of the electronics stay safely put away until the area around the track is secured. I have no concerns about parents looking at the timer, if anything, they will try to get behind me to see the display on my laptop. I discourage this, as it inevitably leads to youth coming around and watching my laptop instead of watching the races.
craig_newbold
Merchant
Merchant

Post by craig_newbold »

Sorry guys, I was out of town Mon and Tues.

John and I discussed this at length about a week back. My three suggestions were as already discussed in the forum here.

1. Increase the length of 3/16" tubing around the IR detectors.
I tested this approach last year and this does improve the ability to operate in increased sunlight conditions. I wouldn't say full sunlight by any means.
2. Shade the finish line. The Daytona is not intended for use in sunlight, so shade is required.
3. Reduce reflections of IR from Sunlight off the track surface by painting or taping a black stripe at the finish line.

#2 is a must, #1 is easy to do and will definitely help. #3 perhaps should come after 1 and 2 are implemented.

- Craig
Packdude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Packdude »

The end of the track will definitely be under shade. I have cut longer tubing for the IR detectors, but have not had a chance to test it yet. I have a training event Fri-Sun this weekend, but may have a chance to test it Sunday afternoon/evening. I'm also going to place black fabric under the bridge modules to simulate painting that area black. I'll let you know how that works once I test it.