Most Bang for the Buck?

Commercial timing systems
nerangers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Most Bang for the Buck?

Post by nerangers »

Hi All,

We have wanted to get an electronic timer for some time, but our group could never really afford it. This year we built a new four lane track. We had someone donate $300 to purchase a new gate for it.

I am looking for input of what would be good with that kind of budget. From what I have been seeing, it looks like the group might have to chip in more towards the bugdet. I have been looking at the MicroWizard website. The K2 seems to be close to what we had in mind.

Thanks in Advance...

Michael
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Most Bang for the Buck?

Post by dave4him »

The K2 seems to be close to what we had in mind.
The K2 is a good choice, but consider that if you use software to run your race, you'll want to get the laser start gate too. So the next best choice would be the Grand Prix package (GP2), which has the start gate included. But, you'll need another $105.00 :shock:

We bought the K1 model a few years back for a hundred bucks and I manually entered the results into my software (Grand Prix Race Manager), which went just fine. We have since upgraded to the K2 (GP2 package) and it is wonderful :!: :mrgreen: :!:

We chose the K2 over the P3 because the K2 shows the order of finish that kids can easily and quickly understand. The times are posted on the overhead via the software. I feel that the P3 is for the "older" guys in the "pinehead class" :D
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
bthere
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bthere »

We recently went through the process of chosing a new timer for a Cub Scout Pack. Out of the 6 main choices, the MicroWizard K2 bubbled to the top for this application. In order to save a few bucks, we decided to go with the kit version of the K2.

We also ordered the computer interface option. This allows you to connect to a PC running any race management software you decide on. The computer option does include a microswitch for the start gate, so you don't need to buy the laser start gate if you don't want to.

Altogether, it looks like a fine system.
Always trying to learn, always hoping to teach.
Slotown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Slotown »

I recently went through this with my Pack. I wrote a "decision Paper" for their review that included software. I would be glad to share with anyone just drop me an email.
Jeff Bittel
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

Same here the MicroWizard is hard to beat. GREAT service too.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

bthere said:
In order to save a few bucks, we decided to go with the kit version of the K2.
I wondered why the K2 kit wasn't available in the GP2 package? We bought the K1 kit and it was fairly simple to put together 8) , but for some reason, MW didn't offer the kit in the package deal :?:

Getting the laser starting gate sure made it easier for a computer-challenged-pinehead like me :lol:
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
mrvoltz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mrvoltz »

I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner.
If you were looking at a kit and saving money, then a simple parrellel timer would have helped you.
The only differance is that you need to use a race managment software program like Grand Prix Race Manager. http://grandprix-software-central.com/gprm/
Timer plans can be found on my site.
http://www.wrightzoo.com/gptimer.htm