Mounting the sensors from the K1 kit timer of MicroWizard

Commercial timing systems
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Mounting the sensors from the K1 kit timer of MicroWizard

Post by DerbyNut »

Hi Everyone,

I have the K1CA timer which came assembled and has the sensors, display LEDs and IR LEDs attached to the ribbon cables. Can anyone suggest the best way for mounting these in a case I plan to build? I'm only biulding this for one lane but I may go ahead and atleast do it for two lanes incase I change my test track to two lanes next year. I'm just wondering how they are mounted and held straight.

Thanks!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mounting the sensors from the K1 kit timer of MicroWizard

Post by gpraceman »

I'd suggest an enclosure like the one below. This will keep the sensors in alignment with the emitters. This one was for a parallel port sensor system, which is why you see a DB25 on it.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

Thanks, I plan to build one very similar to that. But right now the sensors are just soldered to the wires which is fine. How do you mount them in that casing where you want? Do you drill a perfect size hole so they are snug? I'm just curious what you hold them in place with once they are in the hole.

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

DerbyNut wrote:Thanks, I plan to build one very similar to that. But right now the sensors are just soldered to the wires which is fine. How do you mount them in that casing where you want? Do you drill a perfect size hole so they are snug? I'm just curious what you hold them in place with once they are in the hole.
Make the holes a little snug if you can. You can always use a little hot glue to hold them in place, if needed.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

There are grommerts at radio shack, that should be small enough th fit in the sensors.

Also yo umight get the template from microwizard for mounting, it would help a great deal and ease the process.

I think getting aluminuim square tubing is a nice option to looking pro and smaller in size. most hardware stores has it or can get it.

For $20 for some 1 inch square or 3/4 square tubing and some U channel tubing of the same size would work great for the bottom. You might also see if microwizard has some to sell also.

Sporty
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

Thanks, I'll do that. On the bottom piece, are those screws/bolts that are sticking up? I assume you have holes drilled in the track that those go through? Nice design!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

DerbyNut wrote:On the bottom piece, are those screws/bolts that are sticking up? I assume you have holes drilled in the track that those go through? Nice design!
If you are referring to the photo that I posted above, I presume that those are pins to align the timer unit with the track. The photo and some other views of it were submitted by a visitor to my GrandPrix Race Central website.

http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... page&pid=5
sporty wrote:I think getting aluminuim square tubing is a nice option to looking pro and smaller in size. most hardware stores has it or can get it.

For $20 for some 1 inch square or 3/4 square tubing and some U channel tubing of the same size would work great for the bottom.
I've seen 3/4" aluminum square tubing and U-channel at Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware. Aluminum can be a bit harder to work with then wood (drilling and cutting) and is more expensive, but can give you a very nice look.
Randy Lisano