Stop sensor installation

Commercial timing systems
FWRacer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stop sensor installation

Post by FWRacer »

Does anyone have any tips for installing Newbold DerbyStick stop sensors in a BestTrack. This is the first track and timing system I've purchased. The tolerances on the per-drilled holes is such that it allows the stop sensor to move freely through the 1/4" hole. Other than just using electrical tape around the sensors to make them stick in the hole and allowing the sensor to hang freely from the 1/16" thick track, are there any suggestions for installing them more securely to the track from beneath it?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stop sensor installation

Post by gpraceman »

Have you tried contacting NewBold Products?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FWRacer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by FWRacer »

Yes, which is where I got the electrical tape idea. Unfortunately, he had never heard of the sensors being able to slide completely through the pre-drilled holes. Maybe there was a misunderstanding of my email to them. While I think that idea might work at first, I'm worried that over the course of the derby the sensors could unseat and slide out of the hole. I was looking for a more sturdy solution.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

How about mounting the sensors in wooden blocks? Then velcro the blocks under the track. After the race is over, you can pull the sensors to store the timer separate from the track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FWRacer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by FWRacer »

I will have to try that out. Seems pretty simple. I like being able to store the sensors separate as well.

Thanks