Power for Fast track Timer

Commercial timing systems
Wheeler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Power for Fast track Timer

Post by Wheeler »

I am looking for information on using battery power for a fast track timer system.

I would like to know what voltage and amperage I need to last several hours of racing.

This is something I can make my self, I just thought some one out there has made there own and can give me some advice.

I figure having a small battery pack at the finish line would eliminate the need to run another drop cord.

Ken Wheeler :scratching:
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Power for Fast track Timer

Post by Speedster »

Ken, Micro Wizard sells battery packs for their timers. The pack holds 6 - "C" cell batteries and they're so cheap they're not worth your time making them. We start with new batteries each year and run them all day. Never had a problem. I keep 2 extras on hand in case a wire would get kicked but it hasn't happened in 20 years. I highly recommend them. I also use them in my garage on my timer for my new Best track.
Wheeler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wheeler »

Ill check this out
Thank you for responding

Ken Wheeler
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The battery pack is shown under Timer Accessories and listed as PB - Battery Pack, $8.00.
Wheeler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wheeler »

Fantastic, I will order a couple of them today.

Thank you for the info.
you folks on this web site are very knowledgeable and friendly too.

Thank you again

Ken Wheeler
PinewoodNuts
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PinewoodNuts »

I know you probably went with the C cell battery pack, but I wanted to mention something I've been doing this year. I use a USB battery bank with a special cable that converts the 5v from the USB to the 9v my timer needs. It has a 2.5mm barrel jack, so I also needed an adapter to 2.1mm. I am able to recharge it between races if needed, but since I'm using a 20,000mah battery bank, it only ever got down to 75%. That was after running 9 races, each lasting around 3 hours with the timer turned on and an average of 40 cars run per race.

You can find everything on that big website named after a river. There are also battery banks that come with the correct cable connector for a timer and can choose the output voltage. I just used what I already had and I can use the battery bank for other stuff too. The whole setup cost me about $40.

For me, I just didn't want to deal with batteries that couldn't be recharged.

David
Pinewood Nuts