Help

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
MC mark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Help

Post by MC mark »

I have never built one of these and honestly was not in boy scouts all that long but i am working with a church group that will be running a Vacation Bible school for under privilaged kids. one thing we are looking at is using some type of "car" to do a race with becuase our theme for the week is the CARS. Would it be possible to post some specs or designs that you have used in the past and possibly some cost figures. we mostlikely will not be painting them so that is not an issue. Thanks, I really appreciate the help.
Mark
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Help

Post by Smell of pine »

Elective 7 in the cubscout handbook. Otherwise it is basically a 2x4 based car. A rear crossmember, a frame (run perpendicular to the crossmembers), and the fron crossmember. The front crossmember is held with one bolt that enables the car to steer. The rear crossmember is permanently secured to the frame. Attach a simple seat, seat belt, some axles (either steel rod or bolts are common), handcart type wheels, and some rope to pull the car and you are basically set. You should also attach some 2x4 blocks about a 1/4" from the frame attached to the front crossmember to prevent over steering.

To save some money, you could look for new developments and pick up scrap pieces of lumber, and ask around and many businesses and people are willing to help out with church related projects.

Beyond that, Sporty on this BB has a manual on how to build a cubmobile car that is very informative. You could use it to the degree that you need. You could also do a cubmobile search on the internet and see many different cars, but most have the same basic style.

I hope this helps a little, search through this forum and you should find some information as well. The wheels will probably be your most expensive part of the car.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Help

Post by sporty »

If you are not able to find scrap pieces of wood and bolts, washers, nuts or used wheels.

You are looking at around $60.00

my website has pictures and info for you that would help.

I also have the basic diagram, if you contact me and provide e-mail addy. I can send you the basic copy, if you do not have the book or can not find the basic build instructions.

Sporty