Seat

Show off photos of your cubmobiles, starting ramp and race course.
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Seat

Post by Smell of pine »

Our rules do not restrict it, and I think it will be safer, so I'm building the seat out of aluminum. The local scrap yard had numerous aluminum street signs so I plan to bend it up similar to a Kirkey race seat. It will have side bolsters to keep my son from sliding around while he sits and steers. We will cover it with foam and probably some vinyl.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Seat

Post by Teeeman »

Want pics when you're done :)

We added Celica seatbelt (shoulder harness, lap harness I guess) this year, it worked out really cool!

I'll try to post up pics of it tonight.

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

I know a guy at work that has numerous safety harnesses that we could use, but I didn't know if I wanted my son that secure. In other words, in the slight chance of a rollover, I didn't want his head to be the part that skids along the pavement. With only the lap belt, he can at least move his upper body to avoid injury.

When the car is complete, I'll take some pictures. We are working on the ramp as well. A lot to do right now.

One of the scouts parents planned to enclose the wheels for "more aerodynamic performance". It should be interesting to see the creations that show up.
Last edited by Smell of pine on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Smell of pine wrote:I know a guy at work that has numerous safety harnesses that we could use, but I didn't know if I wanted my son that secure. In other words, in the slight chance of a rollover, I didn't want his head to be th part that skids along the pavement. .

This is why I won't build a CMB without a pushbar/rollbar ;)

Aerodynamics is such a minor issue with CMB performance... sure, it counts... in the 4th decimal maybe?

Lot of other things to worry about than aerodynamics.

-Terry
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Now you have me thinking (see the smoke :lol: ). I'm already getting ideas for a "rollbar". I may do a Indy style hoop that gets trianglulated for support. Now I just need some fiberglas or gil liner sheets to cover the back area 8) .
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Maybe along the lines of this.

Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Here is a picture of the completed street sign seat with the $1.88 fabric.

Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Very cool!

-T
krjpy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by krjpy »

We did something similiar for our Tiger Cubs last year.

The seat was made out of thick Fiber Board, and because of its shape, people thought it was an ironing board on the back.

It fully covered their heads and we made a pattern with a thin piece of ply and covered it with padding and got a red, white, and blue piece of vynal tablecloth to cover it and then velcroed the padding on to the seat and back.

It was the hit and our tigers came in second in the pack. Not bad for the lightest kids and what people said was the least aerodynamic car out there.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

krjpy,

Teeman did a great job with that Cubmobile. It's one of my favorites. It was new and prefreshing to my eyes and I took a real liken to it.

Aerodynamics really do not come into play at speeds lower than 12 miles per hour.

Even though the initial burst off the ramp, would likely exceed that speed.

For example, Soap Box Derby, say 30 -32 miles per our. They keep their head down pretty low.

The ones that dont, will loose. Aero is more of a factor.

But we are talking like say for example- 0.100 of a second on a 600-700 foot track.

Cubmobile has short length of race track. 150 feet or less and alot less speeds.

I feel aero plays a role, but not a major role in the race.

In 5 years that I have been to a Cubmobile race, very few cars ever finish very close together.

But certainly if they were close races, then aero might play a much bigger role.

But the single most factors I have seen is - car set up and driver abilities.

Sporty
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Hey Sporty, not to take away from Teeman, but that was our car. :roll: :lol:
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »