Axle alignment pictures

Show off photos of your cubmobiles, starting ramp and race course.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Axle alignment pictures

Post by sporty »

Do you know, how sometimes you just prefer not to share that tip.

Well this is it. Here is some of the tips I have not shared before.

So, I hope they prove useful and much desired.

The bottom of the Cubmobile-

Axle triangulation -

Since I was the only one holding and trying to take the pictures, this is not a 100% accurate or precise demistration.

Axle Alignment-

that is called a axle alignment stand, on a flat and level floor, check with a level.

Dial indicator reader-

You check this with the child in the Cubmobile. You also have to make sure you have the gauged dialed in. a Zero bar comes in handy to calibrate & adjust & set the gauges.

even if you buy zero alignment steel rods, they will bend when the child gets into the Cubmobile. This tools comes in handy for setting the axle alignment to zero when the child is in the Cubmobile for racing.

I have seen as much as .023 bend in the axles underload. this is also how you adjust your camber and toe.

Axle Bending tool-

This tool is used to bend the axles to get proper alignment, the goal is .000 or .001.

This process takes time, and checking your bends and takes about 1 hour with the child for the front and back axles.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and the brief info on how to do Triangulation and Axle alignment .

Some of these tools can be made or bought. But they are not cheap to do or buy.

Sporty
TRE-357
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Axle alignment pictures

Post by TRE-357 »

We do not allow 'through' axles, per the standard rule set..

(?) That is a lot of work as well, but looks good.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Axle alignment pictures

Post by sporty »

This process still can be done without axle rods !

just a little harder to get as accurate.

The bending process would also be different.

But it would still give you a good measure of how far the alignment is off or on.

This is my 1st year using axle rods. I always used bolts in the past, with the same mounting bracket you see in the first picture.

I went to those axle brackets two years ago.

It also helps that we do soap box derby racing and many of these tools are used for the soap box derby cars the kids race.

However, i think that some of these tools could be make cheap, but would be less accurate.

cheap dial indicators on e-bay or new can be gotten for $10-$15.

metal at any local hardware store could be used to make some of those tools. you just might not get super accurate.

I have seen wooden alignment stands and bubble levels for axles.

just depends how good you are at machine work or wood cutting.

But I think really, unless you view cubmobile as racing or you are wanting to learn as much as you can and apply it all.

It's not very likely you will do these alignment tips. But since I have them already, why not use them.

Sporty