Cimarron River District Scoutmobile 500 2014.

Show off photos of your cubmobiles, starting ramp and race course.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Cimarron River District Scoutmobile 500 2014.

Post by whodathunkit »

With this year being my secound year as the race chairman the turn out for racer's & car's was a bigger surprize then my first year at the event. (with over 30 kids registered!)

Race flyer's were sent out via e-mail asking all packs to make reservations by Oct the 8th.
On Oct the 6th we were worried if there would even be a race with no reservations made..
on the 7th we had 18 reservations made for the race.. so it was a go!

The opening ceremony was presented by the District Commissioner showing how to raise the flag when there is no flag pole present.

For this year's race we had 4 events: The kids race, Drag race, Tow truck, & Outlaw for adults.
The weather turned out nice with the temp in the 60's it was a good day for racing..
on the north side of Meade State Lake.

Drag race:
Tow truck:

Kids race:
we had alot of kids that turned off in the grass areas takeing on the 4x4 off road racing event.
And then we had some really good drivers as well.

For the Adult Outlaw event:
Well I just say we had are crashes and then some that did not turn out so good.
So if you have any good ideas on how to make the steering on the cars better for the adults.

Please lets here it as it is one event we are working hard on!

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Cimarron River District Scoutmobile 500 2014.

Post by sporty »

If you look at all my older cubmobile tips and info, you should find allot of safety tips and steering tips. and alignment and much more.

You may also consider soap box derby steering, which is not cheap and a bit different, but some of it might be a way for the adults racing.

But found limiting the steering with wood blocks closer to main frame, limited steering issues.

But found using bushing in the wood at the center bolt and washers and rubber washers also, a combination, also provided good steering.

The brass bushings in the wood, helped eliminate the soft pine wood, compressing during racing, which often would cause the steering to loosen, during the races.

A lot more work and a bit more costly, but in the end, we had great control with the rope steering with , bushings and washers and a rubber washer between the cross member.

My kids went on to race soap box derby and won his local and went to akron, we also did allot of rally racing.

some of the pictures you posted, I can see the wood block way to far from the cross member, frame, I recommend 1/4 inch gap on each side. One picture looks like 1 inch on each side.

I know it seems limiting, but reduces, tips and flips and roll overs, we went to this, to solve those problems and no longer had one issue.

I always recommend foot boards, it prevents the feet from slipping and getting caught and dragged, seen that too,

I recommend hockey pucks for brakes, thick rubber and last awhile, versus bike tires.

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi Sporty and thanks for your reply!

I have been reading over alot of your CubMobile Tips here on DT!

Especially the one where you said:
The longer the track the greater the speed's the harder it is for the kids to steer the car.
And yes I even noted the safty steering blocks set way to far out on alot of cars.

It's time to educate inspection teams of this problem and to tighten up our car inspection process
to make there program safer for next year races.

Sporty,
What are your thoughts about the car seen in this link.
http://www.cubroundtable.com/assets/pdf ... e-book.pdf
is this car design safer for the smaller kids.

Mark.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I like sides on the side of the seat. If it tips. Kids don't get road rash on there arms as easily.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I noted that in some of your car photos as well.

Luckly we didn't get any kids hurt this year !
Alot of the packs showed up with helmets but no knee or elbow pads or gloves for the kids.
So that's something I'm looking to make changes and requiements on .. and have on hand as well.
Same will be done for the adults who wish to race a car as well.