CO2 Metric 500 Racing with Pitsco Kits

Anything related to CO2 powered racing, such as Blastcar, and event coordination.
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

CO2 Metric 500 Racing with Pitsco Kits

Post by RaceFan »

Sorry if I'm "off-topic", but I just discovered these at my daughter's school!

How could I have survived on planet Earth for 44 years and not know about "Pinewood Derby on Steroids"???

Just when I was getting a bit down about Cub Scouts being over for my son and waving goodbye to PWD, I mysteriously discover these!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CO2_dragster

Anybody here participate in these races?
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: CO2 Metric 500 Racing with Pitsco Kits

Post by RaceFan »

These are just too cool. The kids and I are definitely going to look into this!!!

http://www.science-of-speed.com/showroo ... &carid=607
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

WOW!!! That look cool!!!

How long does the CO2 power it?? How long of a track do they need?? I'd think you'd want the CO2 to run out before it gets to the stop section. How do you stop something going that fast???
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:How long does the CO2 power it?? How long of a track do they need?? I'd think you'd want the CO2 to run out before it gets to the stop section. How do you stop something going that fast???
The track is just over 65 feet long (start to finish). The faster cars can get there in under a second. It sounds like they use rolled up towels to stop the cars. Monofilament line running through eye screws under the cars keeps them on the track.

See the Flash overview at http://www.science-of-speed.com/competition.asp?id=90

I've had some customers use my GrandPrix Race Manager software for this type of racing. I haven't seen a race in person, but I'd sure like to.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ScoutAndDadTeam
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ScoutAndDadTeam »

We did this last year. The kids had a great time. The lighter and more aerodynamic you make the car the faster it will go. We had a minimum weight limit and a limit on how much wood you could remove around the cartridge (for safety). Wheel/axle prep does not appear to be that important but I prepared our wheels/axles the same as we do for PWD.

These things shoot off like rockets. Like Randy said the fastest ones go down a 65 foot track in under a second.

The downside of this type of racing is there is a lot of down time between each heat of racing. You have to stage all the cars on the fishing line then you can start the racing the heat. The racing goes fast once you get the heat started but then there is down time before the next heat.

When all the racing is done you can give the spent cartridges to the boys for souvenirs.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

ScoutAndDadTeam wrote:We did this last year. The kids had a great time. The lighter and more aerodynamic you make the car the faster it will go.

When all the racing is done you can give the spent cartridges to the boys for souvenirs.
I found this interesting information

http://catalog.pitsco.com/store/detail. ... l=0&bhcp=1

The Science of Speed

View Larger Image
Price: $199.00
Qty:
Add to Wish List Email to a Friend
Availability: In Stock

Product ID: W24656

Product Type: Multi-Student Packs
Description Details

Finally, a standards-based, engaging curriculum centered on the design, construction, and racing of CO2-powered dragsters! The Science of Speed is a physical science investigation that weaves together fun and exciting activities in math, science, technology, and technical writing. Your students will hardly realize they’re learning as they explore the finer points of aerodynamic design, car construction, and data analysis that occur prior to "A Day at the Races," a culminating activity sure to be a hit with all students.

The 32-hour Science of Speed process (actual time depends on the tools used and the type of competition) is detailed in a comprehensive teacher’s guide that includes a step-by-step explanation of what to expect and do during each of the 16 phases. Phase 1, the introductory Zoon Air Car activity, helps start the students on the path to understanding the basics of car design, motion, forces, and transfer of energy. From there, students design, construct, test, and modify their CO2 vehicles, adhering to design rules and specifications along the way. A video overview; blackline and color masters of 15 custom worksheets; and several sample competition brackets save you time and effort and eliminate guesswork. Students store their worksheets and designs in a cool portfolio that simplifies assessment and review.

The inclusion of detailed correlations to national standards and assessment rubrics helps shift your focus from administrative duties to quality time teaching students as they craft their cars. The Science of Speed, written and developed by Brad Blue (a veteran teacher with years of dragster-design and competition experience), is a tried-and-true curriculum designed to work with Pitsco dragster kits, packs, race systems, and accessories. Includes the following:

Comprehensive teacher’s guide
Video overview
Blackline and color masters of worksheets
Assessment rubrics
30 student portfolios
100 sheets of grid paper (11" x 17")
The Science of Speed Poster
Zoon Air Car Pack (supplies to make 30 cars)
5 Metric Dragster Go/No Go Gauges
Correlations to national standards (math, science, technology, and English)
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RaceFan »

Hmmmm, we may just build some cars and run them without timing anyone. It'd be like launching Estes rockets, no contest, no competition, just build the things and watch them go.

Maybe after doing that, we can get with someone with the timing equipment.

Well, I know what we're doing after our final PWD!!! :mrgreen: