BSA Blastcar Racing

Anything related to CO2 powered racing, such as Blastcar, and event coordination.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

BSA Blastcar Racing

Post by gpraceman »

Looks like BSA is getting into CO2 powered racing.

Car kits and accessories

Guidelines and instructions
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: BSA Blastcar Racing

Post by sporty »

Awesome.

For boy scouts, merit badge.

i'll share this. Since Im more or less retired, and my son has one race left to go.

When I got a few hundred free wheels, due to helping with the design of the new wheels. Being lucky enough to be asked for input and even more blessed that my input was good enough advise to be used.

I had often talked to someone, who had gave me all the free wheels, about would it not be nice to see boy scouts still have some kind of pine wood derby event.

because the boys are older, can do most of it themselves. We did not have that indepth conversation. So I certainly did not mention anything about co2 cars.

But this is awesome. I have 1 son in boy scout and another going into boy scouts. So perhaps both will be lucky enough to get to do this.

On a side note, You really have to commend BSA, over the past few years, they have came a long way, in regards to pinewood derby. More tools, better wheels, tracks for sale, ect.

Not to mention, they make several million dollars a year on this. So it's just so great to see them also realize, why its so huge all over the usa, scout packs. and now boy scouts gets a hand in it.

I was hoping they would have gotten back into soap box derby racing (boy scouts) But unless something new has gotten worked out or they are back in talks.

A new soap box derby president now.

Talks failed with bsa over working something out. Yes I was involved with this at one point briefly also. This was when soap box derby had contacted me and dealt with me for awhile. because soap box derby is broke and in bad shape and they are and were looking at ways to save soap box derby and I had the idea of boy scouts. The seen some post I had made. lol.

but awesome,. I will have to buy a few for the kids to play around with and try out.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

This must be what the E2Xtreme Challenge Racing morphed into. I kept looking for information after the initial press and everything seemed to have gone silent. Thanks for the link!
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Since I'm now officially working with Scouts (11 yr olds), I might get to explore this racing as well. Thanks for the history/background Sporty!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

We might as well start a separate forum on it! I know my son has already had his final pack derby, 1st place modified and DNP unmodified. District is next week and maybe we'll get invited to council. He's already interested! Now I've got years ahead of me.....I might as well buy the lathe!
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Check this thing out. Video shows the inside of it and everything. Totally on a different level.

https://youtu.be/vbD1X3rDZ60
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That is some pretty fancy engineering going into that car!
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

I spent all of yesterday at the NCAC Scouting University learning (and earning my Masters degree). Along with all kindds of training and reading materials, they had Blastcar kits for sale. I couldn't resist picking one up. It's big! I was wondering how you were to race these things. It seems to run like an upside down Space Derby - the car is guided along the race route by a line threaded through two eye hooks on the bottom of the car. So no official track, just a starting point and an ending point on the ground. Here are some pictures:

The only hole in the block is in the rear, here you put the CO2 cartridge. The block can be oriented either in the 'tall' or 'wide' mode. The paper template is there so you don't accidently cut into the CO2 space. You drill your own axel holes. The metal axels are actually a threaded wood screw with smooth neck.

To give you an idea of scale, the smaller block and wheel is a PWD kit.

The block and wheels alone weigh over 12 ounces.

There is no max weight or height.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BSA might not have a track that they offer, but there are tracks that are used for CO2 racing.

Many CO2 racing products can be found at http://shop.pitsco.com/store/default.as ... 3&by=9&c=1, including tracks, wind tunnels, timing systems, car kits, and more.

Lots of information on this type of racing can be found at http://www.science-of-speed.com/
Randy Lisano

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

That video is awesome.

The time and work that went into that car. Amazing.

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I been looking at some of the links and info,

While the scouts one is made out of pine, many of the others is made out of balsa wood.

The launcher at about $70.00 is not so cheap.

Id rather see one made like the video or kit that offers more of a release versus the puncture type method for the release.

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

here is a cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... I6xi-fTx9k" target="_blank
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

We have an "OUTLAW" race after our regulation racing in our Pack as I'm sure many folks do. It is open to everyone. Our only rules are, no fire, no rockets, and the car cannot interfere with another car or damage the track. That's it.
You might like to try this because it involves the scout and his reaction time. Basically what I did was build a Radio Controlled Slot Car from the ground up. I attach 24' of track to the end of my regulation track so I can get the car stopped because I don't want it damaged. Yes, I get the timer out of the way. The electronics are from an RC car, the Losi Mini-T. The receiver/speed control is one unit, fairly small. That's what enabled me to do this. It is powered by a 7.2 volt battery, modified motors are available, and I built one of them to take the Revell Dodge Funny Car body that has McDonalds theme. That's the scouts favorite one and my fastest one. The challenge is your reaction time and if you can keep it on the track. Strangely enough, I am able to run them all wide open so that's not much of a challenge. The front wheels are Pinewood Derby wheels mounted on a threaded rod and the rear wheels are slot car tires with all slot car parts in the rear. I didn't run the threaded rod all the way through the front wheels so I could glue a nail head on the wheel to make it look stock. I stand half way down the track at the start so all I need is a 3" antenna on the car. The car, of course, doesn't need steering. I would guess the car covers the track in about a second. I'm not going to run it under my timer because that would be the run it would leave the track and destroy my timer and rip up the track.
Perhaps a Pack would be interested in building one and the scouts could all run the same car and race the clock. A trophy could then be awarded. I'm sure something could be designed to protect the timer.
I've given it some thought and have decided this is probably the only way I would ever beat Sporty.
Cheers
Bill
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

So, who is planning to build one? I think I am, but I've got alot to learn. I don't think this first year of CO2 racing is as advanced as the PWD is now. I'm sure it will evolve.