Pro-Wheel Mandrel from Maximum Velocity

From pinewood derby car designs to a kits, wheels, decals and more, Maximum Velocity has everything you need to win your pinewood derby car race.

Moderator: MaxV

MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Pro-Wheel Mandrel from Maximum Velocity

Post by MaxV »

Pro-Wheel Mandrel

The Pro-Wheel Mandrel is a precision-machined tool to accurately hold the wheel in the chuck of a drill. Benefits include:
  • Accurately machined shaft allows for precision use in any drill chuck or Dremel-type tool.

Step-down on shaft allows BSA wheels to be mounted with the 'spokes' facing the drill chuck, simplifying work on the inside edge of the tread.

Knurled thumb screw eliminates the need to use a screwdriver to mount a wheel (a clumsy operation with the standard mandrel).

Beveled thumb screw ensures that the wheel mounts accurately on the mandrel.

Screw can be replaced should it be lost or bent.
The tool has been successfully tested on wheels from BSA, Awana, PineCar, PinePro, Royal Rangers, and Royal Ambassadors, and should work on other similar wheels.

Click here for photos and a comparison with the standard mandrel

Click here to purchase
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pro-Wheel Mandrel from Maximum Velocity

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Randy,
I already got one! Actually brought it to work today to show it off to one of our Engineers and a Machinist (during lunch of course!). Wanted their opinion on how to modify it to do two wheels at once. That way both front (or rear) wheels would be closer to the same diameter as you would lathe them both at the same time (I don't worry about working the inside of the wheel-tread area as this is not allowed at Pack or District races). Any plans for additional parts to adapt this tool to do two wheels at once?

Da Graphite Kid
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

The difficulty with supporting two wheels is that the screw would be quite long. Since it is already thin, increasing the length would increase manufacturing difficulty. Also, in order for a 'dual-wheel mandrel' to work on one wheel, the hole depth in the body would need to deeper. This is also more difficult to do (longer bits tend to drift).

Then of coarse a longer screw translates into more time to swap wheels.

Nevertheless, I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Would a dual-wheel mandrel be of interest?

Would it replace the single-wheel version, or would both be desired?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

MaxV wrote:Would a dual-wheel mandrel be of interest?

Would it replace the single-wheel version, or would both be desired?
I think having both types as an option would be great. I've always wanted one that would do two wheels at once. However, I do understand that that it would be harder to manufacture and make it easier for the screw to get bent.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Pro Mandrel is designed to center the wheel. This is to help the builder get a more concentric wheel.

When mounting 2 wheels, you loose all ability to hub center both wheels

When mounting the wheel in the standard position, the flat on the shaft does 2 things, 1. it gives the wheel a square or perpendicular surface to help establish centerline. 2. It is a contact face for driving force to help turn the wheel. From here the cone on the screw will center the hub to the flat. This is why it is important to use the Pro Hub first. This way you have a inner hub that is square to the hub bore.

This way you are trueing from the already established centerline; the hub.

If you want to get the wheels both the same size, Max V has a digital cailper that can help greatly, or do you have any more new tools Randy? :lol:
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

... or do you have any more new tools Randy?
Possibly; you'll have to wait and see ...
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Randy,
I would think that instead of having a body with a deeper screw hole that you would offer a second longer thumbscrew as a separate item to be used with the Pro-Wheel Mandrel you have now. To help center the second wheel, you would have to get a 'spacer' made that; will fit over the shaft of the thumbscrew, has a flat side for the wheel hub, and has a beveled side to center the second wheel with.

Da Graphite Kid
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PinewoodPerformance »

Hey Randy!

Can the Mandrel be chucked into a collet at the body diam rather than the base?

JW
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Yes, when using a typical drill chuck I recommend chucking around the wider part of the mandrel. The narrow stem of the mandrel is intended for Dremel-like tools, or very small drill chucks.
brownboy
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by brownboy »

Hey MaxV,
I have several Items I'd like to puchase from your site

Mandrel, Hub tool, and wheel Shaver, I saw a package deal for 2, but not for the three, also do you combine shipping?
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

The Pro-Hub Tool and Pro-Wheel Shaver can be purchased as a set. The Pro-Wheel Mandrel can be purchased separately or as part of an 'Advanced Speed Kit'.

All items purchased at the same are shipped together. Shipping prices are based on weight, destination, and shipping method.