New Remote controlled Start Gates for the 2011 Season

Manufacturers of The Judge timers. Also manufactures solenoid start gates and light trees.

Moderator: John Shreffler

John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

New Remote controlled Start Gates for the 2011 Season

Post by John Shreffler »

Please stop by: http://www.newdirections.ws/gate.htm" target="_blank
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Remote controlled Start Gates for the 2011 Season

Post by gpraceman »

Full motion gates are interesting, but at least one brand of timer can have a problem with them. With Fast Track timers, you do not want to close the start gate until all cars have finished, otherwise you will lose the results. The gate should only be closed once the heat is over. You might want to post a warning on your website about that for users of that timer.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

Good point, Randy. MicroWizard is the only finish line to my knowledge that does not latch the start signal from its microswitch sensor. The MicroWizard timers that are using the Laser Gate do not have this problem, since the start signal is latched. I offer the MWI (MicroWizard Interface) for folks that use the microswitch. The circuitry makes the timer think it is connected to a Laser Gate and solves the problem. The MWI comes with a superior magnetic switch and has an in-line connector so that the switch can be left on the gate when the track is broken down. My own preference is that MW change his firmware to latch the start signal. Because switch closure zeros the timer, I had often thought about the effect of random switch bounce on timing accuracy. Also, one of the key points about a full motion electric start gate is that there is no need to reset anything. The fact that you must press a button with either the Laser Gate or my MWI diminishes this advantage.

You can see my MWI at http://www.newdirections.ws/images/MWI.jpg" target="_blank It sells for $34
Last edited by John Shreffler on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I should have clarified my comment. That does only apply to those using the starting micro switch, not the laser start sensor.

The Fast Track timer's behavior, when using a micro switch, can actually be an advantage. For those that don't man the computer and a car doesn't finish, instead of going to the computer and dealing with it from there, just simply close the start gate. The timer will then send the results for the cars that did finish.

I do believe that they account for switch bounce, but only for the short amount of time that you would have to worry about that happening.

I was just trying to point out that you might want to put a warning or some note about how best to use your full motion gate with that brand of timer.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

I just put your suggested link on the page. Besides the MWI solution, I have sometimes put a pulse stretcher circuit in the Light Tree. For the next production run of Light Trees I will probably go up to a 6 second green. That should be enough for the longest tracks.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge