Multi-Timer setup to capture performance data

Manufacturers of The Judge timers. Also manufactures solenoid start gates and light trees.

Moderator: John Shreffler

John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Multi-Timer setup to capture performance data

Post by John Shreffler »

I find this discussion to be interesting, and think there is a lot to learn about performance through multipoint timing. Any mutilane timing circuit could be pressed into this service by simply locating the finish lane sensors at various points along the track.

At the moment, I am getting ready to announce a new addition to my product line which might be of interest for multipoint timing. It is going to be marketed to advanced groups that project the results of Grand Prix or other software on the wall, or on a large TV monitor. By doing this, it is possible to eliminate the most expensive part of the finish line, which is the display. For groups that project, nobody looks at the finish line display anyway, because they want to know WHO won, not what lane won. GPRM is what tells you that. At a derby, nobody understands or cares about the elapsed time display.

The new finish line will be very small, and there will be nothing much showing on the track. This model is designed for the BestTrack, but I will be making them for all track types.

The power demands will be very modest, and it is powered by a small LR44 battery. The sensors will be mounted in the BestTrack permanently, and are disconnected using Faston connectors. It will work indoors or out.
Last edited by John Shreffler on Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Multi-Timer setup to capture performance data

Post by John Shreffler »

Here is a photo of the circuit card and the sensor board that goes under each of the lanes in BestTrack.

For groups that project GPRM, this finish line will do everything the Champ does, for 25% of the price. It is good for anything from 1 to 8 lanes. By using the circuit board as the heart of a multipoint performance system, you would have something both high performance and economical. It is just a matter of hooking your photo diodes to the input pads numbered 1 through 8 and you could measure at up to 8 points along the track.

The messages are sent out of the modular phone connector, and are displayed on your computer either in Hyperterminal, or you could use the #4 Hardware Setup Timer Test in GPRM. Times are expressed to .0001 sec.
Last edited by John Shreffler on Tue May 01, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

John,

Very interesting concept. I'll be watching for more information.

Thanks for the advance information.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Fantastic idea John !!! Need a place to store some samples ?!?!