Racemaster Starting Switch

Commercial timing systems
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Racemaster Starting Switch

Post by 10range »

We are preparing for our Awana race later this month and I have been contemplating revising the start switch on our RacemasterIV timer/Besttrack. We are using the switch that came with the timer. I suspect but can't prove, that the original start switch can cause times to vary slightly due to the small flexible wire that contacts the start gate.

I am contemplating changing the switch out and was looking at some of the options in micoswitches or magnetic switch. Wondering if one is preferred over the other? I was leaning towards a magnetic switch since in theory that should take any mechanical variations out of the equation but wanted to hear if anyone else has done this already and had better results.

Thanks for any info or ideas.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Racemaster Starting Switch

Post by gpraceman »

I've never been fond of the whisker switch for this timer. I'd rather have a normal lever type switch and the start gate holds the switch closed when in the up position. One other timer manufacturer swears by magnetic switches. However, I found that you need to be careful with the gap between the two halves of the switches to get it to work reliably.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by 10range »

Thanks for the thoughts. I won't have an opportunity to test the setup until the night before our race so I am contemplating wiring up a new switch and have a magnetic switch set up too. Then wiring connectors to each so I can swap back and forth in a couple of seconds to do some testing.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by 10range »

Interesting update and a bit of confusion on my part:)

I installed a magnetic switch on the starting gate. I did this on the front of the angle iron that holds the pins for the start gate. The sensors are together when the starting gate is in the ready position and the magnet swings away when the staring gate is tripped. This setup has started the timer everytime the gate is tripped.

I also installed a micro switch under the angle iron in a position that would depress the switch when the gate is in the ready position. This switch is wired to the normally closed position so that the circuit is completed when the gate drops. The interesting part is that timer only works with this setup every 4th or 5th attempt. I have tried 3 different switches to make sure that it was not a bad switch and all three behave the same. I also rewired the original Racemaster switch to test that I had not messed up the wiring and it works as it should. Does the switch have specific requirements? I am scratching my head at this point.