Race Replay

Other race electronics and general electronics discussions.
RandyUnderwood
Journeyman
Journeyman

Race Replay

Post by RandyUnderwood »

I know most of you will initially think this belongs in the Software section but it really is an electronics post.

I have been toying with the idea of creating a component that takes the input from several (read three as of now) miniature video cameras (the spy type) and switches these inputs into one output based upon the position of various switches. I have built a prototype and it works; of course i have serious grounding/groundplane issues so the prototype picture is bad (at best - but hey it's a prototype). I use a high performance video switching chip - the kind used in security systems to show multiple camera views at once - I use the standard IR LED / photo-transistor setup in the parallel port timers to trigger the camera view changes as tha cars do down the track (plus a switch at the start gate to reset to the correct view before the race starts). So basically you mount the cameras where you want them on the track and mount the switches where you think they'll catch the entire race. Right now the output is standard RCA video (plus the cameras I bought have an integrated microphone). I have a USB camera that has a RCA connector on the back for input - and that's how I view the cameras on my PC. I have been toying with trying to figure out how to use USB cameras instead but my inclination is that the PC's USB controller would go crazy when I start connecting/disconnecting USB cameras so quickly.

Depending on what type of input RaceReplay accepts, my device may be compatible with it.

I am posting this here to see if anyone else is interested in this kind of device and would like to see my schematics or discuss the device.
Randy Underwood
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Race Replay

Post by gpraceman »

RandyUnderwood wrote:Depending on what type of input RaceReplay accepts, my device may be compatible with it.
Well, so far RaceReplay has been able to accept video feeds from DV Cameras (via FireWire connection), other video cameras (via S-Video or Composite Video connection to a USB video capture device), USB web cams, and even a TV tuner card. However, the best video quality by far will be with a DV Camera and FireWire connection.

Still some more testing to do...
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.