Mini Video Camera

Other race electronics and general electronics discussions.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mini Video Camera

Post by sporty »

I bought 2 kits, listed under led kit.

http://www.allelectronics.com/index.php ... ry=led+kit" target="_blank

also, 3mm led, linked below, can get some that run off watch battery.

http://www.oznium.com/led" target="_blank

I have not put my led kits together, i got them months ago, to tink with got pwd cars, but Im too busy to get to it right now, soon though I hope.

But i think I will just use the blinky lights with three button option, that I got from the bowling alley, vending machine, very small and bright and light. I can just moved the leds off the tiny board and use super tiny wire to reconnect them.

then I can still use the on and off buttom that came with it. small and for $1 each, not bad.

I got the ring finger ones, then removed the silicon colored rubber that makes the ring.

Less work, really, but still want to play with those kits from all electronics.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

:offtopic:

Seems this thread got sidetracked with LED's
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

I purchased this unit on ebay for $17.97 + shipping. Works quite well, but I did note interference from our cordless phones which goes away if I unplug the phone. Has all power packs, A/V cables, adjustable/removable camera mount, and they even included a 9v battery - in original retail packaging.

Time to build a vehicle to house the camera now...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Anyone try out one of these type of key chain cameras? At $12.99, the price is right.

Here's some sample video done with that camera.

https://youtu.be/

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/stor ... duct=11867
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

gpraceman wrote:Anyone try out one of these type of key chain cameras? At $12.99, the price is right.
Here is a website that has a load of information on the 808 key chain camera's. Before buying one of these I would definitely take a read. There are issues with inconsistent quality and possible safety issues with the batteries as well as lead in the cases. I bought one on ebay for use on my rockets, but take a read for yourself if interested in buying one. I will post a review once I receive mine.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

*5 J's* wrote:Here is a website that has a load of information on the 808 key chain camera's.
Thanks for the link.
*5 J's* wrote:I bought one on ebay for use on my rockets, but take a read for yourself if interested in buying one. I will post a review once I receive mine.
Let us know how it goes. These seem pretty cool. I was rather surprised at the video quality on some of the videos that I have seen taken from them.

Now, what would be cool is to build a car that looks like a video camera, with one of these hidden in it. Then surprise everyone when you plug it into a laptop and show them the video. :idea:

Hmmm ... I wonder if these will work with my RaceReplay software...
Randy Lisano

*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

gpraceman wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:I bought one on ebay for use on my rockets, but take a read for yourself if interested in buying one. I will post a review once I receive mine.
Let us know how it goes. These seem pretty cool. I was rather surprised at the video quality on some of the videos that I have seen taken from them.
Will do.
gpraceman wrote: Now, what would be cool is to build a car that looks like a video camera, with one of these hidden in it. Then surprise everyone when you plug it into a laptop and show them the video. :idea:
Hmmm ... I wonder if these will work with my RaceReplay software...
The one downside of this type of camera is that you must remove the microSD card and download the video. The wireless camera that I bought will allow dynamic viewing of the video. It would be great to be able to integrate this camera into RaceReplay. :nod:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

*5 J's* wrote:It would be great to be able to integrate this camera into RaceReplay.
Well, it is a matter of if the Microsoft DirectShow library can see it when it is connected to the computer. Many USB interfaces with video cameras are merely for transferring files, not accessing the video feed. Webcams are the main exception. If it can act as a mini webcam, then use with RaceReplay would not seem to be a problem. RaceReplay would have no problem playing the AVI clips that this camera records. I'm just not sure if RaceReplay can record video directly from the camera itself.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Well, I thought that I would give these a try and put in an order. This should be a fun addition to a PWD car and for the RC helicopter that I am getting for my b-day.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Here's some video shot with a keychain camera on some model rockets that my boys and I launched today. We just used masking tape to secure the camera to the rockets, after removing the keyring from the camera. These video cameras would work great on a PWD car.

The chute failed to deploy on this one. The side modules ejected properly, but the middle tube split open. The recovery wadding was probably packed in too tight.

We almost lost the rocket (and camera) on this one, as it nearly came down on the school roof. The chute failed to deploy and the rocket broke a fin as it hit hard packed dirt right next to the building.

Randy Lisano

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Very nice! Good clarity!

It looked like the rockets pitched over earlier than I would expect. Is this because of imbalance due to the added off-axis weight or drag from the camera? Or were the flights "nominal"?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:Very nice! Good clarity!
Yeah, they came out better than I expected. On a PWD car, I would think that you could get some really good video, as they are not traveling as fast as the rockets, nor spinning wildly.
Stan Pope wrote:It looked like the rockets pitched over earlier than I would expect. Is this because of imbalance due to the added off-axis weight or drag from the camera? Or were the flights "nominal"?
With some of the flights, you could see that the rocket would arc towards the camera side, so there was a noticeable drag effect. On some of the flights we were using some B4-4 engines, which is a bit too much of a delay until the ejection charge goes off. I think on a couple of these video flights we were using some C6-5 engines. I think there was less of a noticeable drag effect with the C engines.
Randy Lisano

*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Very nice shots Randy. I rec'd my camera, but have done much more than some test videos. I get the rockets back out once our lakes freeze. Frozen lakes make great launch sites.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

My son just got into rockets, we are for sure gonna research more on this. Thanks for links and inspiration.

But agreeing, the camera's weight and drag does seem to be an impact to flight performance. Well, when just taped to the side at least.

So many projects, so few sunny windless days to try em all!
SuperGeekDad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by SuperGeekDad »

Thanks for the inspiration! They've come out with an HD keychain camera that works really well (once you scrounge the internet to find understandable instructions!) The video came out terrific.

It also has a webcam mode that does work with RaceReplay -- you just have to know the magic button combination to put it in that mode.

And it avoids all the top-heavy problems I had with my big honkin' video camera I strapped to some cars last year. ;)