Run Off with the Top 4 Cars

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
rkitchen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Run Off with the Top 4 Cars

Post by rkitchen »

We've used the GrandPrix Race Manager Pro for several years now. Races are running so fast that the only downtime is between race groups. I'm hoping that someone has a suggestion on how to speed that up also.

Specs:
4 Lane Track
Perfect N Race Method (cars run against the clock, all cars run on each lane once, and each cars worst time is thrown out)
3 Groups of Racers (Primary kids, junior kids, and an unlimited group)

Here's the problem. I set up six databases, two for each group above. After the primary kids finish I take the top four cars and create a new database with just those four cars and do a run off with just those four cars to get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place . I repeat that same procedure for the junior kids then the unlimited group. It seems like it takes forever for me to close out the group races to find the top four, then create the run off races by typing in the four racers in a new database, then letting the software produce the brackets.

I've seen groups and sub-groups in the software. Would that accomplish the same thing? Is there another way to go right from group race to run off race without creating a new database each time?
Skywalker Racing
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Run Off with the Top 4 Cars

Post by Skywalker Racing »

Create a finals round when your current round ends?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

rkitchen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:59 pm Here's the problem. I set up six databases, two for each group above. After the primary kids finish I take the top four cars and create a new database with just those four cars and do a run off with just those four cars to get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place . I repeat that same procedure for the junior kids then the unlimited group. It seems like it takes forever for me to close out the group races to find the top four, then create the run off races by typing in the four racers in a new database, then letting the software produce the brackets.

I've seen groups and sub-groups in the software. Would that accomplish the same thing? Is there another way to go right from group race to run off race without creating a new database each time?
You can do all of that in one data file. After a group is done racing, create a new round (Round 2) for that group and advance the top 4. Do that for each group. See the tutorial video for Step 9b.

The rule of thumb is actually to advance at least twice as many racers as there are trophies to award for the group. So, advance at least 6 for 3 trophies. That leaves it a bit more of a mystery of who will win the trophies and it gives more racers the honor of making it into the group finals.

BTW, "brackets" is a dirty word with GPRM. ;)
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
rkitchen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rkitchen »

Thank you Sir! Exactly what I was looking for.

The 'b' word will never pass from my lips again! :oops: