People's choice voting

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Zebracar
Journeyman
Journeyman

People's choice voting

Post by Zebracar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 pm

In years past, we have placed solo cups in front of each car so that all of the scouts can drop their one issued ticket into so as to vote for their favorite car.

Recently, as in this years pinewood derby, I built a rack for staging all of the cars in a smaller area. As a result, it's complicated the solo cup system. Before next year I plan to build a hutch with casters to sit under the upper rack. I was thinking of incorporating it into the hutch somehow.

My question is this. Does anyone have any ideas how to stream line the voting process.

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: People's choice voting

Post by Darin McGrew » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Zebracar wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 pm
My question is this. Does anyone have any ideas how to stream line the voting process.
We've always had independent judges choose the award recipients sometime between registration and the race itself.

Zebracar
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: People's choice voting

Post by Zebracar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:24 pm

Thanks for your reply. We have judges for several categories. However, one of the categories we like to include, is the kids vote on best design. Each scout is given a ticket at sign in, and it gives them each one vote to place in the cup of their favorite car.

Need to come up with a practical way to replace or modify the cup system. I was looking tonight at digital tally counters. That might be an option, if an adult did all of the button pushing for each car. Prob is at a $1 or more each, it'd be expensive to have one on each of the ninty car slots.