Managing Track Conditions

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Post Reply
zaytran
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 1:17 pm

Managing Track Conditions

Post by zaytran » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:25 am

We just finished running our Pack's Pinwood Derby.

My son came in second, his buddy first and the Doctor who buys his son's car came in third. This year the Doctor had the car in the UPS labeled box that it was shipped to them in! His son had a total melt down when the bought car came in third in a heat. Makes life interesting.

Anyway, Track Conditions:

Some of the Pack kept putting graphite on their cars during the race. This is not against our rules. Once I figured out that a lot of people were doing it I explained that since the cars only run 6 races (total time from each lane wins) it was probably slowing the cars down.

We have an aluminimum track and by the last quarter of the race it was pretty dirty and times slowed way down. We have a broom cut to match the track that is covered in microfiber cloth that we use between each race but it could not keep up.

So, next year we are going to stop mid way, take a 10 minute break and clean the track very completely with acetone.

Your experiences?

Cheers,
Ted



User avatar
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 6888
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:01 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois
Contact:

Re: Managing Track Conditions

Post by Stan Pope » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:08 am

Guess your time/tool-impaired doctor must find a new vendor. Good going! (Did you by chance see the return addy on the UPS box??? :)
Or maybe he just bought the box because it would be a proven safe way to transport his son's lovingly built car??? (Oh, well, I can dream, and having rose-colored glasses helps.)

With those rules, I'd try to stimulate frequent rounds of relube by pretending to lube my car and extoling the virtues of fresh graphite! Seriously, given what we know about graphite break-in, I wonder that the rule persists. Sounds like everyone will probably be coughing up black stuff for a week! Perhaps you could push a rules change on basis of "health considerations." Or is it a district-wide tradition?


Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"

doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:06 pm

Re: Managing Track Conditions

Post by doct1010 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:26 am

Stan Pope wrote:Guess your time/tool-impaired doctor must find a new vendor. Good going! (Did you by chance see the return addy on the UPS box??? :)
Or maybe he just bought the box because it would be a proven safe way to transport his son's lovingly built car??? (Oh, well, I can dream, and having rose-colored glasses helps.)

With those rules, I'd try to stimulate frequent rounds of relube by pretending to lube my car and extoling the virtues of fresh graphite! Seriously, given what we know about graphite break-in, I wonder that the rule persists. Sounds like everyone will probably be coughing up black stuff for a week! Perhaps you could push a rules change on basis of "health considerations." Or is it a district-wide tradition?
:lol: :lol: Ahemmm Not all Doc's are THAT tool impaired! :lol:



zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:24 am

Re: Managing Track Conditions

Post by zeezop » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:25 pm

With those rules, I'd try to stimulate frequent rounds of relube by pretending to lube my car and extoling the virtues of fresh graphite! Seriously, given what we know about graphite break-in, I wonder that the rule persists.
What do we know about graphite break-in? Could someone expand on this - or supply a link to the discussion?



zaytran
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 1:17 pm

Re: Managing Track Conditions

Post by zaytran » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi Guys:

I am not sure where you can find the reference for graphite break-in.

I believe that a couple of runs breaks in the graphite. It then hangs in there for about 20 races. It has been a long time since I did the research. Perhaps someone else has a link. I remember seeing graphs of races versus time.

Yep, some Docs can use tools. These folks (both Docs) may be able to use tools but they have little time for their boy. He is primarily Nanny raised. He can be a pain but he loves Scouts. I have to remind myself why we do all this sometimes.

Cheers,
Ted



doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:06 pm

Re: Managing Track Conditions

Post by doct1010 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:59 pm

zaytran wrote:Hi Guys:


Yep, some Docs can use tools. These folks (both Docs) may be able to use tools but they have little time for their boy. He is primarily Nanny raised. He can be a pain but he loves Scouts. I have to remind myself why we do all this sometimes.

Cheers,
Ted
Sad. However, I know the scenario all too well. It really is about the time spent together, the competition is fun but secondary.



User avatar
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 6888
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:01 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois
Contact:

Re: Managing Track Conditions

Post by Stan Pope » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:46 pm

doct1010 wrote: :lol: :lol: Ahemmm Not all Doc's are THAT tool impaired! :lol:
Right! Didn't know which might have been limitation, if, indeed, there were a limitation. Indeed, some doctors, especially surgeons, are exquisite mechanics, machinists and artists. And that is good ... "get another kit and try again" just doesn't cut it in the surgical theater!


Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"

SpinDoctor
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:45 pm
Location: CVC, Michigan

Re: Managing Track Conditions

Post by SpinDoctor » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:49 pm

Ah yes, the break in.
Our Pack/District does not allow relubing after the cars are checked in. I knew for my Tiger and Wolf to make the Finals they would run 24 heats. The last 6 the ones that count the most. So those cars had liberal lube and we let the den heats break it in. District are a differenet story. They only run 6 heats. That we did not know last year, and even though we had the fastest run, we came in second by .1 second cumulative score. So this year we will make sure they are broke in.

As for cleaning the track, that was my job this year.
I swept the track after each den raced, so each dens heats started on a clean track. I also swept after the semi-finals, so the finals were on a clean track.



User avatar
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 6888
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:01 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois
Contact:

Re: Managing Track Conditions

Post by Stan Pope » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:56 pm

SpinDoctor wrote:That we did not know last year, and even though we had the fastest run, we came in second by .1 second cumulative score. So this year we will make sure they are broke in.
Sad that you would be invited to a competition and not be told what the competition was.


Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"

Post Reply