In Your Pack & District & Council Races

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.

At Your Pack & District & Council Races

Poll ended at Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:09 pm

Four Wheels
17%
Three Wheels
17%
It Does Not Matter
67%
NO Clue
No votes

Total votes: 6

Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

In Your Pack & District & Council Races

Post by Scoremaker »

Let's take a poll
Do you have to all four wheels touching the track?
Or can you have only a three wheels touching?
It does not matter?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: In Your Pack & District & Council Races

Post by gpraceman »

There is an advantage to having a front wheel raised; less friction between the wheels and the track. To try to require having all 4 wheels touching I think would be a bit unreasonable. It is easy to get three points in space to lie in the same plane, but not four.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Requiring 4 wheels touching is a requirement substantially beyond the "rules in the box." There is not even a hint of that in the kit insert! :) Thus, I voted "it does not matter."
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

We've run our Pack races under the "it does not matter" policy or actually the lack of a policy on this matter. We have had District races where all four wheels had to touch. How was this accomplished when racers showed up with only three wheels touching (by accident or design)? They would (shudder) press down on the body of the cars until all four wheels touched or would bend the fourth wheel down until it touched. If anyone came in there with good alignment and only three wheels touching - their alignment had to be shot after that. Since I knew our District rules included this, and since I couldn't get them to budge off of these rules, I had a machinist drill all axle holes for the blocks that year - so that all four wheels had a better chance of touching when the wheels and axles were installed. What makes it worse is that they were not using a guaranteed flat surface. They were merely using a regular beat up school tabletop! Luckily, we have only had to run under this rule in one of the three District races that we have been to.

Da Graphite Kid