How to spot liquid lube (again)... please keep on topic?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to spot liquid lube (again)... please keep on topic?

Post by Teeeman »

Liquid Lube: how to spot, well, I dunno still (see my sig!)... :)

I'll put a link (now that they are posted) to our revised rules in a new post.

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by OneHour »

Terry,

It's a little bit late, but here is my 2 cents. We ran into this problem as well in our Pack. One thing that we decided as suggested above is to look for the tale tells sign of graphite and teflon and we all know they are very obvious (gray out or blackened paint job for graphite and white powdery hubs for teflon). As for sign of no lubing or wet lube, simply spin the wheels and then ask. Non-lubed wheels will not spin any more than 4-5 seconds (6-7 if you are lucky). NyOil II will spin slightly more, but no more than 11-13 seconds. If applied properly, NyOil II will be hard to see other than a slicked axle within that small 1/16" gap that separates the hub from the body. My take is that there are so many other factors that can make or break a race for a car. Lubing is just one factor; as a result, our Pack race committee agree to change our rules to allow wet lube providing that it is applied correctly, ie. no dripping effect. All excess lube will be cleaned up during registration.

L
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Hmmm, that is good to know on the spin times!

I had no idea the Nyoil II had lower spin times than most good graphite lubed wheel/axles.

Correct me if I’m wrong. as has been pointed out many times, the spin times are not necessarily in direct relation to on-track performance… meaning the Nyoil is still a better performer on the track?

(even though it has less spin time)

Reason I ask is last year we stopped polishing the bores and swapped over to burnishing as-molded bores with graphite and (with balanced wheels) got way into the 30s for spin times… consistently 35s plus range… blew my mind!

But we weren’t the fastest car at District by a long, long shot! (mid field actually!)

-Terry
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by OneHour »

Yep ... NyOil II doesn't have the spin time as graphite. I have a bottle. After I applied it as directed (http://www.maximum-velocity.com/5107.htm), I did the usual spin test and found it to last only 14-16 seconds. I thought that I did not do enough, but after re-reading Randy (MaxV) instructions, he confirmed my observation that the spin test with NyOil II doesn't match up with graphite. The spin test difference between non-lubed and NyOil II is very noticeable. NyOil (or any lube) produces much smoother spins than non-lubed wheels. Non-lubed wheel tends to produce a louder sound when the bore hits the metallic axle.

As for performance, when I had NyOil II on, my car only got 3rd in the Open Race (the other two lubed with graphite). Now that I found this forum, I have been enlightened with the fact that my wheels were not aligned properly and rail-riding may be the answer that I was looking for ... for the last 6 years! So... NyOil II still may be the way to go, but for right now in order to keep my test consistent ... I have to change only one variable (ok ... 2 variables) from previous experience ... proper alignment and rail riding ... while keep other factors constant (graphite, weight, and shape). My son's car is being used as my baseline this year (everything is as I/we normally do to the car).

Probably, by the time that my son gets to Bear (in two years), I'll try Krytox on my car, assuming that I/we got Stan's alignment down pat.

... as you and others ... I wish that I can fork out some $ for a test track. That will be going overboard from my boss' pov! She rules the household! :wink:

L.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

I’m wit ya…

at my house…

BOSS = FOOD

No mess with boss…

:)

No test track…

:(

-Terry