Trohpies

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
letsgo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Trohpies

Post by letsgo »

I am setting up my first pinewood derby; what is the best bet, local trophy shops or online dealers? Are there any specifically good or bad online dealers? Is there anything I need to know about buying trophies? Any advice would be great!
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Trohpies

Post by TAL »

IMO , My local sports store is a little more costly than online dealers, but the tradeoff is you have a more of hands on pick and choose your custom made tropies...

Online dealers usually have a better selection but after shipping cost it weighs out about the same unless you buy a quanity bulk...

I have bought 5 or 6 different times from an e-bay seller with great results...

A 1st ,2nd and 3rd place trophy generally runs about 12 to 15 dollars for a set of 3 and around 15 to 30 for a set of 5 plus shipping of about $8.00...

Then you can buy individual participant trophies and or medals or even go with certificates for the remaining participants...

I would highly suggest always get the engraving plate with the engraving from the seller and or store you make your purchase from...Cause a seperate plate and engraving can be more costly than the trophies themselfs...

Remember, it is not always the size or style of the trophy ,but also presentation of presenting the trophies can also play a big part in the satisfaction of recieveing the award well earned...

Also things I have found out is to include on the plate is

-place of finish, for what ...
-organization name...
-date...
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Trophies

Post by Go Bubba Go »

letsgo: You should also take at look at the following threads.

http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=738

viewtopic.php?t=117

The second one has a link to Stan's design for a wood plaque. Not a trophy, but a nice supplement.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
letsgo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by letsgo »

THANKS! I missed the trohpy shop today, but I might get them on Monday. I also work for a delivery company and one of our customers is a distributor of trophy parts, maybe we could get parts and build them?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Are locol Trophie seller.

Was lower or equal to any company I found on the net.

I did alot of looking for weeks, checking alot of companies.

I think if you have a local company and the prices are close to what is out there on the net. Then buy locally.

Also, Locally gives you the advantage of actually seing them and picking out.

Alot of trophies these days, are platic. Platic base and plastic plated figure.

They can be damaged easily in shipping. So if you are going to buy on line. Allow plenty of time for accidents or returns that may need to be done.

Are local seller, even offers to buy back the extra ones at 80 % of there cost.

Sporty