Our Pinewood Derby

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
chad9229
Pine Head
Pine Head

Our Pinewood Derby

Post by chad9229 »

On Saturday we ran our Pinewood derby.
All and All I think we had a great race!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Our Pinewood Derby

Post by gpraceman »

Now, don't make us drag it out of you. Give us some details :wink:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
chad9229
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by chad9229 »

BSA put out a new Speed tips book this year and my son and I purchased one from the local Scout shop. Apparently there was at least 3 or 4 dads who purchased the same book. Because there were 4 "Ultimate" cars there. The one shaped like a Wrench with a quick start bar. Well, one of the boys came in 1st overall and my son with the same design came in 3rd overall. That design also took our open class. The Dad, whose son came in first, and I were talking and we think that the cars are getting faster and faster, Because last year's Pack winner raced against the top 2 and the top 2 smoked them. It is becoming more of a science. It is also easier to buy supplies for the cars. It is becoming a big business, just look online and Google "Pinewood Derby". Parents are investing more money and time into making their son's car a winner.

We had someone come with cooking oil on their axles. There was illegal wheels. Some who bought kits from Hobby Lobby.

We had a few parents complain about our computer gliches, It took a long time to fix, as emcee I was a little frustrated also.

We had two, 3 lane tracks and it seemed to go well. We got a new timer for one of the tracks so that they both had timers, that made it a whole lot easier, instead of having to eye the results. I would recommend every Pinewood derby to have a timer, it takes a lot of guesswork out of the matter and their is no questions on who the true winners are.

It is funny how you can tell at the beginning of the race who is going to win overall just by how fast some of the cars are going. I knew that my son's car would do well. We also gave an award for " The Best Fuel Economy", the slowest car, the boy was supprised to get a trophy as big as everyone else.

We had a great time!!
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Sounds like a couple of small bumps but overall a very good time.

Excellent! and Congratulations!

We had our Derby over the weekend and if your experience was like mine it was really a "whirlwind" of activity.

I agree that PWD is becoming more of a "science" as with all things these days, but I really enjoy watching my boys eyes light up as they figure out (with a little help) all the little improvements and how they fit together.

Of course, the real fun IMO is in taking some "cookie cutter" design tips and incorporating them into a personalized design (my son's 2006 Fastest in the Pack Batman car bears some "Ultimate" resemblances :D , yet was quite distinctive in appearance and even won a Best Design award at Council!)
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

Congrats on the great showing! :)

It sounds like your Pack races are heading in the right direction by raising the level of competition. 8)

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Chad,

I bought that "Build the Ultimate Car" book online 3 years ago. We didn't build the nose with the "Quick start bar", but we did build with a raised nose in an attempt to take advantage of the pin drop.

However, our track has a solinoid start, so I don't think it gave us any advantage. Also, the start tab is only 1 inch high! Our car was barely able to stage on the track!

And, once we studied the fast WIRL cars, we noticed that none had that design, so we've abandoned it.

We've also gone to railriding, which isn't referenced in our copy of the book.

I would say that the info on this board is better than any "speed tip" book ever written.

2K10H
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

2kids10horses wrote: I would say that the info on this board is better than any "speed tip" book ever written.

2K10H
I'll second that!

We had a couple "ultimate" cars as well. They both had the front open sans "quick start bar" I caught them at our pre race weigh in. I "suggested" they place something across the front otherwise it appears to be an unfair advantage. One car would of staged with a 3" head start on the field. Mediocre performers.
Last edited by doct1010 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Hey, that "3 inch advantage" is really a 3 inch DISADVANTAGE! Less PE. THose cars will not be travelling as fast after the transtion. The cars whose CM started higher up will pass 'em.

2K10H
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

2kids10horses wrote:Hey, that "3 inch advantage" is really a 3 inch DISADVANTAGE! Less PE. THose cars will not be travelling as fast after the transtion. The cars whose CM started higher up will pass 'em.

2K10H
Yep! However to onlookers and those not familar with DT it APPEARS as an unfair advantage, and we did pass 'em along with several others. :D
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

Overall it sounds like a sucessful derby. Congrats!