We're going to try a new system for Districts this year

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: We're going to try a new system for Districts this year

Post by gpraceman »

Cory wrote:Still, this is not without a price. All those victories and near misses for "slow" cars mean that somewhere up in the top brackets there is that boy with a pretty fast car that is finishing 3rd and 4th most of the time. He is also a should-not-be-ignored part of the equation, IMO.
A very good point and one that should definitely not be ignored. So, is this a subtle way of rewarding mediocrity to the detriment of those that built better cars? That is probably another debate in itself.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

gpraceman:

I had a conversation with one of our District Execs the other day to discuss a rule interpretation for our upcoming District race. And he made the comment that he thought PWD should be simple cars that "anyone can make, and put together, and if they're lucky, they might win".

Whoa.

He obviously doesn't recognise the skill it takes to make a winning car, and he thinks the winner is "lucky". I decided he was too out of touch with the event to give me a rational answer.

I was able to get clarification from the guy in charge of the Council PWD race.

But, I think a lot of the fun with PWD is the learning that takes place over time. My son and I were absolutely CLUELESS when he was a Tiger. We weren't last, we were second to last! Each year we've gotten better as we learn more, and put the ideas into practice.

I mean, where else would an 11 year old be able to discuss "rotational inertia"? My son can, and he fully understands the concept, and knows what it takes to minimize it!

If the PWD was determined by "luck", where's the learning?

2k10h
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

2kids10horses wrote:I had a conversation with one of our District Execs the other day to discuss a rule interpretation for our upcoming District race. And he made the comment that he thought PWD should be simple cars that "anyone can make, and put together, and if they're lucky, they might win".
That sounds familiar!!!!
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:
2kids10horses wrote:I had a conversation with one of our District Execs the other day to discuss a rule interpretation for our upcoming District race. And he made the comment that he thought PWD should be simple cars that "anyone can make, and put together, and if they're lucky, they might win".
That sounds familiar!!!!
Unfortunate how many boys are being taught that the recipe for winning has more (or everything) to do with luck rather than with hard work, craftsmanship (when's the last time you heard that word used???), and acquisition and application of knowledge.

As if "winning" were the measure of all things, anyway...

Tempted to soapbox further, but I will not.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Go Bubba Go wrote: ...acquisition and application of knowledge.
That is what is sorely lacking in our Pack. Nobody has a clue how to make a fast car. I tried to share at Workshops but everyone just wanted to make a car that will get down the track. I just supplied the tools and a place to build. It's like they feel they don't have a chance to win so why try!! We barely won the Den the first year but found this place and have acquired and applied a tremendous amount of knowledge since in the 3 years since then.