Need your Opinion

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Need your Opinion

Post by blcrow33 »

This is the second year I am in charge of our Packs PWD. My son has taken 1st place the last three years in a row. This year I have two boys in the derby. Our Pack leader usually announces all the awards after the races. He told me this year since I am in charge of things, he thinks I should announce all the awards. I have no problem announcing the awards but should I announce the award if one of my sons comes in first place again? Or should I step back and let someone else do it? I announced the Grand Finals race champions last year and my son came in first. It was kind of weird for me to announce my own son as the Pack champ. Even though I was very proud of him, I felt like I could not get as excited as I wanted to standing in front of the entire pack when I just announce everyone he beat. Should I announce this year again or let someone else do it if they win?
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Need your Opinion

Post by doct1010 »

Your choice. Having been the Derby Chair in similar situ for three years as well, it was equally satisfying whether I announced my sons victories or Cub Master. Observing gave me the opportunity to take it all in and cheer him for the job well done. However, shaking his hand and handing him the trophy was VERY special. A precious moment that I still cherish. For me, kind of an exclamation point at the end of the story we wrote together. Just be sure someone gets a picture!
ScoutAndDadTeam
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ScoutAndDadTeam »

I’ve been in the same situation. Go ahead and announce it yourself. It will be very apparent who wins before you announce it. So it will not seem like you simply picked your son (if he wins). Last year I ran our pack race and my son won everything. I felt good about giving him a trophy but I felt even better about giving out the other trophies. There was one that I was especially happy to hand out. We had overall first – third trophies and first place trophies for each Den. The overall winners were not eligible to receive a Den champion trophy. We had one boy (who is autistic) who lost every race he ran. He was very upset. But because he was in a small Den (It was him and one other boy who showed up to race from that den.) and the other boy was the overall 2nd place winner he ended up with a Den champion trophy. His parents later told me that he was very proud of his trophy and holds it every day.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by blcrow33 »

ScoutAndDadTeam wrote: We had one boy (who is autistic) who lost every race he ran. He was very upset. But because he was in a small Den (It was him and one other boy who showed up to race from that den.) and the other boy was the overall 2nd place winner he ended up with a Den champion trophy. His parents later told me that he was very proud of his trophy and holds it every day.
That is a great story and the kind of thing you want to hear about from the Pinewood Derby. Like I always say, it is not just winning, it is giving the scouts as much enjoyment as possible.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

doct1010 wrote:Your choice. Having been the Derby Chair in similar situ for three years as well, it was equally satisfying whether I announced my sons victories or Cub Master. Observing gave me the opportunity to take it all in and cheer him for the job well done. However, shaking his hand and handing him the trophy was VERY special. A precious moment that I still cherish. For me, kind of an exclamation point at the end of the story we wrote together. Just be sure someone gets a picture!
Agree with doc here.

Our Cubmaster actually hands out the trophies, so I haven't handed one directly to my boys. However, I imagine it is similar to being PWD Derby Chairman and busy with the prep and event for the day.

In some ways it was more fun / immediate satisfaction for me in the "old days" when I was an observer and cheerleader for my boys and not involved in putting on the event. I got more time with my boys, a few more pictures, etc.

In other ways it is more rewarding / long term satisfaction for me now being involved in the running / organizing / helping mode as I see the enjoyment not only of my boys but of the group as a whole. Sometimes it is a bit of a whirlwind and it's over before you know it, and the personal enjoyment doesn't really kick in until I'm at home that evening watching video footage. As doc said, make sure you have someone to get pics / video for you.

If you occupy the position (Cubmaster or PWD Chair or whoever typically performs this function), then perform the function and enjoy it. I wouldn't try to either avoid (or nudge your way into) handing your own boy(s) their trophies.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Go Bubba Go wrote:If you occupy the position (Cubmaster or PWD Chair or whoever typically performs this function), then perform the function and enjoy it. I wouldn't try to either avoid (or nudge your way into) handing your own boy(s) their trophies.
I agree. I handed out the trophies last year. My sons were #1 & 2 overall. I t did feel very awkward. Most people knew before anyway. I didn't enjoy it. :|