Rule question on new BSA axle mount

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
MapleLeaf
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rule question on new BSA axle mount

Post by MapleLeaf »

I have to publish rules for our next district roundtable on Tuesday night. I don't know if anyone noticed it, but in the latest BSA catalog there is a new axle mount accessory. It looks like a white metal or plastic block that is inserted into the precut groove to provide a solid block into which to install the nail.

In my 4 years or so running the district event, we haven't restricted axle placement to the precut groove. I've found the groove is frequently not straight, and the groove is a little too wide to hold the nail firmly for any amount of time. Most packs have complained about that, and my philosophy is to encourage scout participation and creativity by allowing the different wheelbases, instead of providing MORE opportunity to disqualify a kid upon arrival at the event.

There could be two opinions on these parts.

1 - The part is listed in the official BSA catalog, so should be allowed as the BSA endorses it. The part helps overcome the groove too wide problem, and provides those scouts and parents without the benefit of a drill press an opportunity to help level the playing field. They don't act in spirit as a spring, so they don't give THAT much advantage...

2 - We already allow the scouts to relocate the wheels, so that should be enough. Any scout can drill an axle hole if they want, so it's up to them to find a drill (press if they desire.) The axle mount could act as a bushing (technically) between the plastic wheel and the car body.

We barely got the date established for the derby, but beleive it or not the question has already come up. I'm really on the fence about it, leaning toward NOT allowing them, but fear many many cars will show up with the axle mounts regardless of prepublishing the rules (who reads those anyway? I don't think the rules we distribute to the packs will even make it beyond the leaders attending roundtable - and that's only maybe half a dozen packs out of 18 that attend that....

Opinions?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Rule question on new BSA axle mount

Post by Stan Pope »

Are you referring to the Pinewood Derby® Axle Guard at http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/Ite ... item=17107? Maybe not, since these have been around a while. But they kinda fit your description. Used correctly, these should not be a problem. Allow them.

But, I don't think they fit the description well enough. So, I think what you describe isn't in the online ScoutStuff.org catalog (or I just can't find it).

The device you describe provides an alternative place for the axle to attach to the car and an alternative surface for the hub to rub against. You already allow the alternative places and you probably allow he car body to be painted or heavily graphited in the "hub rub" area which is an "alternative surface". So (if assumptions are correct), it is in the spirit of current rules. Allow them.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"