Inspector Training

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Inspector Training

Post by dna1990 »

We talk to and around this subject alot. Rules and enforce-ability. Bubba had a good recent thread about some wheels trying to make it thru inspections. There is a recent story on another board about a car that raced thru five heats, only to be 'inspected' by an interested party manning the stop section, and then was DQ'd during the race before the final sixth heat. There is the positive story of the would-be fourth place finisher that made it to the metal stage because rules were enforced. Etc.

I hear about (and saw one race this weekend) where the inspectors can be just the next volunteer that shows up. Or sometimes intentionally selected as not having alot of PWD experience or having any stake in the race itself. Locally, we happen to have the inspectors that have been there a few years - and while fair and impartial, I do wonder that if after staring at many hundred cars over the years - is making them just 'glance it over'.

So how do you go about training new or returning inspectors? Do you have rules that are exploded into further details about the why/how/history of that rule? Include photos? Hold meetings (for just rules and inspections) well before the race? Etc.

And how do you staff? Always at least two? Are parents of racers excluded? And do you have a clearly defined 'final judge'? Does that final judge only get involved when there is a question, or do they offer a quick look at each entrant to ensure nothing slips by?

Do you have written rules on what to do when something gray happens? A vote among X people, a single final judge, etc.

Do you have written rules that state what happens upon discovery or suspicion of a rule infraction at race time? Are all inspections final and once racing begins, no turning back?

What about the people side, not just microns and grams? Not everyone is cut out for the role of telling a racer or parent "no". How do you motivate and give enough confidence or empowerment to someone that may be slightly conflict-averse? How can you tell when you have a inspector candidate that is either too shy about saying "no", or just as bad - has a bone to pick with everyone that has ever beat their Scout last year and thinks they can have unlimited DQ fever?

Besides having good rules, what makes a good inspector?
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Inspector Training

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Very good subject.

Not much time now, but a quick lowdown on how I selected, trained and tested (yes, tested) the inspectors that worked for me checking wheels at our Council races.

First I talked with them for a few minutes to get a sense of their attitude toward inspections (kind of like jury selection) - "We should just let the boys race" or "I inspected last year and hated it" was a no-go, "We need to keep the races fair for the boys" and "I like getting a good look at their cars up close" was a potential go.

Then I showed them the 3 basic traits I was looking for (this was just for the wheel inspector, another inspector covered the other stuff):

1) actually BSA wheels, not Pinecar, Awana, or otherwise
2) full weight not lightened i.e. 2.2 gram, 1.8 gram, 1 gram
3) no excessive sanding/rounding of surfaces (coned hubs, treads rounded)
...as well as some other stuff I won't belabor here... those were the basic 3

I provided them with some pictures of "legal" and "illegal" wheels, pointed out how to quickly tell the difference, gave them a pen light if needed to help illuminate the inside of the wheels, and let them study / ask questions for a few minutes.

Then I gave them the test - an unmarked 1/2" slab with wheels and axles attached (long wheelbase, of course :wink: ). You guessed it - 3 of the 4 wheels were illegal (a 1 gram, a 2.2 gram, and a otherwise legal except for lightly coned hubs). Pass the test (they all 3 did - one after a little added coaching) and they can have a seat and get to work. Can't pass the test, next candidate please.

After the inspectors passed the cars, the boys were to proceed directly to me for final review and direction to the staging table to place their cars. As the boys came up to me, I did ask them to turn the cars over so that I could take a quick look at the treads, hubs, and inside of the wheels to double check the inspectors work. Only issue I found was the "out of the box" wheel guy who had pulled one over on the inspector by duping her with his "new" wheels routine - see viewtopic.php?t=3865

Gotta run.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

PWD Voir Dire, I like it alot.

It really does come down to talking it out abit well beforehand, in order to find out someone's approach or attitude about PWD and the application of rules. Their thoughts on competition in general, and what dose is healthy for Cubs, etc.

Then to their specific knowledge and awareness of what could be an unfair advantage and why.

I think in alot of cases (all areas of volunteering in Scouts) that folks are happy to pitch in for some role X. But coordinators of the various events often do not lay enough groundwork on what they expect the volunteer to do.

I think volunteering without any guidelines is a main reason for less than enthusiastic helpers over time. Now there are some tasks (new development) where you need the volunteer just to 'run with it' without any predisposed ideas or afforded supervision. But still give good deadlines, budget info, needed approvals or inclusions, etc.

[[ We are quite new to Scouts, but we see many examples of where someone does something, well, just in a goofy way. We have come to the conclusion with sarcasm but with a drop of seriousness, that many of these overt goofy executions of ideas - is just their way to find new volunteers for next time. What better way than to have to someone perk up and say "you outta be doing it like this", "great idea, why don't you do that for us next time"... ]]

I'd like all my inspectors next year to be wearing shirts with patches that state they are Go-Certified-Bubba qualified. Proud graduates as they would be.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

I have written an "inspection procedure" that is tailored to our rules and attempts to cover the whole array of rules. Since it is stepwise, the procedure can be divided into individual inspection jobs that can be assigned to individuals or small groups of individuals. Ideally, each of the several inspection jobs takes about the same amount of time.

Racers sequence through inspection stations, hopefully collecting an "OK" on their license at each step.

Training of each inspection station is highly focused to the inspection steps assigned to that station. Even so, testing is still necessary!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

dna1990 wrote:I'd like all my inspectors next year to be wearing shirts with patches that state they are Go-Certified-Bubba qualified. Proud graduates as they would be.
Too funny.

I might have to see if I can get some "spoof patches" made up for the "approved" inspectors, with a piece of double stick tape to wear over their position patches (nearly all are in uniform). Or maybe a neck lanyard with "spoof ID badge" :wink:

Seriously, though, we do not know who our volunteers will be until they "report for duty". If we're lucky, we have enough to cover all the different jobs and can sort through them to figure out who would be the best fit in the inspector role. If we're not lucky, we end up pulling "double duty" (or triple :( ) and it is a bit more of a challenge.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby