Spotting Ebay cars..

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Spotting Ebay cars..

Post by ohiofitter »

...Ok I know I've seen them on ebay....but at inspection how do you tell that the car itself is a ebay car.......I have read post to where you can spot the wheels...or does the body don't count....I think thats were all the fun is when you get to watch your kid say yeah dad that the way I want my car to look...not yeah dad thats the car I want you to buy me
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spotting Ebay cars..

Post by gpraceman »

I detest eBay cars. However, trying to label a car as being bought from eBay just because it looks like one sold there, is problematic. Maybe they got their inspiration from a car they saw on eBay or other online merchant. There is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I think that when in doubt, ask some questions about how they built the car. I wouldn't come outright and ask if it was a bought car. But if it becomes obvious that they cannot describe some of the construction techniques they used, then I would ask if it was purchased.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I can say that some of my cars and designs are clones from looking at pictures of other cars.

however, i think going and printing off the images and putting them on the table. might make a honest parent admit it.

But The real key is offering work shops and sharing the knowledge of how to build a fast car.

i think this can help prevent this from happening. I also think those work shops and info in the news letter can convey about pre-built ready to run cars.

I do dont have a problem with kit cars, because it still gives the child and parent the ability to paint and assembly and add the weight.

I have raced against e-bay pre built $100 cars, We are faster than them !!

Thats something to convey also !!

sporty
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

thanks guts...I am part of the inspection team this Jan. and will be running the show from here on out...at least for 3 years.....I think the kits are ok for single moms or from parents that have no woodworking skills...Workshops are great but around me there a to few that show up.....And one of the boys in our den did find a car on ebay.....and did make his own version of it...I believe... he came in fourth or fifth place. But dad had admited that he didn't know to much about the PWD and he googled it and came across those cars and I can respect that...
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

I (we) get a lot of ideas from cars seen here, ebay and some of the other Derby websites.

We will look through photos and my son will say "Dad, can I make one like that?" 8)

Some designs are easier to cut out than others.

BigDozer66
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

While eBay is the major place that completed and mostly completed cars are sold, there are now other websites that carry these, unfortunately. Some of these guys have setup their own websites to hock their wares. Much to my dismay, one of the larger derby suppliers has also started selling these cars. The owner states the common justification that many of the other sellers use, that of single moms and dads that are all thumbs with tools.

[soap box mode]

To me, that justification just doesn't hold water. Pre-cut kits are readily available online and locally (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Hobby stores). Pre-prepped parts are also readily available online (if allowed by the rules). Just sand, paint, adhere weight, and put on the wheels and axles. At least that way they can truly enter a car they put a good deal of work into.

If pre-prepped parts are not allowed by the rules, then the organization that puts on the race needs to provide workshops with access to tools and people that can provide construction advise and assistance. If the organization doesn't provide that, then they are doing their members a serious disservice.

[/soap box mode]
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.