Race Rerun

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Race Rerun

Post by 10range »

This year I have been asked to organize our Adult Awana Grand Prix. One question I have on the race is what conditions would normally constitute rerunning a race? Is there is a widely accepted set of conditions for re-running a heat?
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Race Rerun

Post by TAL »

What type of format are you using to run the race? Points, times, Head to head elimination?
Are you considering a possible whole race rerun or a single heat rerun?
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

I think most will rerun a heat when a car leaves its lane, with the car declared the loser if it jumps the lane again. I have heard of some who DQ cars which do this however.

Another time a heat is rerun would be when there is a problem with the track or timer which would call the race outcome into question. Like if the timer awards a faster time to an obviously slower car. I've seen that happen on occasion.

Problems with any software you might be using could also prompt a rerun.

If racing without timers, any race so close by eye it looks like a tie could prompt a rerun.

Those come to mind as some more commonly seen situations prompting a rerun, there are probably others as well.. Like TAL mentions, the race format will determine to a great degree what situations you will have to address.

I guess you could say that most of this would be covered by doing a rerun for any situation in which the race outcome is in question.

Congrats and good luck as race organizer also. :)
We are Ambassadors for Christ
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by 10range »

Thanks for the thoughts guys. We use a 4 lane track and a format where only the winning car from each heat advances. We have an electronic timer but only use the times for track et records. I was thinking of just rerunning heats for some reason as a car jumping a lane or some other condition.

It was not a voluntary decision to help organize the race :roll: It was more like if you do not do it, we won't be able to have the race. I don't know, maybe I am just a sucker :(
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

If a car leaves it's lane or track, loses and part, drips oil or lubes, etc. and causes no interference with other cars or the finish results that's just tough stuff. The results stand.

If the car somehow causes interference with another car or finish results , then it will be a re-run.

Generally when I run a race if a particular car causes interference 3 times they are no longer allowed to race. With a good inspection procedure and trial runs before the race this can most of the time be avoided.

If there is no kind of interference with other cars or finish results, to me it does'nt constitute a re-run.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

This is the verbage pertaining to reruns in our current rules:

INTERFERENCE WITH OTHER PWD CARS
13.IF during a HEAT any PWD CAR leaves the track, or otherwise fails to reach the finish line but does NOT interfere with other PWD CARS, that PWD CAR will be scored as DNF (did not finish) for that HEAT. If
multiple PWD CARS fail to reach the finish line, but have not interfered with other cars, then they will be scored as DNF for that HEAT. No cars will be pushed across the finish line.
14.IF at any time during a HEAT any PWD CAR leaves the track, loses a part or wheel, or otherwise fails to reach the finish line AND as a result there IS contact / interference with other PWD CARS, the HEAT will be
declared invalid and re-run with ALL CARS. Any repairs to a PWD CAR will be performed by the designated Pit Crew. A maximum of two minutes will be allotted for repairs.
15.IF at any time a PWD CAR leaves the track, loses a part or wheel, or otherwise fails to reach the finish line AND as a result there IS contact / interference with other PWD CARS during TWO CONSECUTIVE HEATS, orany combination of THREE HEATS IN A SINGLE ROUND OF RACING, the HEAT will be declared invalid and rerun WITHOUT that PWD CAR. That car will be scored as DNF for that specific HEAT.
16.If after examination it is determined that the PWD CAR will not properly compete without causing re-runs, it will be pulled from the competition. Any car pulled from competition for repeated Interference violations will be given an opportunity to be sufficiently repaired and retuned for the subsequent OUTLAW CLASS, to give the Scout an opportunity to race his car.

Here is the link to our most recent draft of our rules that I designed for the Pack, the District, and the Council events here in Central Florida. Feel free to use any or all of its content as you need:

http://gotvows.com/futureeagles/CFCRULES010109REV.docx
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by 10range »

pack529holycross wrote: Here is the link to our most recent draft of our rules that I designed for the Pack, the District, and the Council events here in Central Florida. Feel free to use any or all of its content as you need:

http://gotvows.com/futureeagles/CFCRULES010109REV.docx
This is a very well done document. I really like how you have incorporated not only the rules, but also a very well done how to section. Thank you for sharing. This will help me a ton in preparing for our race and explaining rules.