Impound stand

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
piazza
Journeyman
Journeyman

Impound stand

Post by piazza »

I have just completed one of two impound stands for an upcoming Council event I am volunteering for during 9/24-26/09. I had seen similar stands and wanted to put together a couple. This stand accommodates 24 cars. I am making one more and I'm sure a third will be in order. Let me know any thoughts please. :scratching:

Last edited by piazza on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do...or Do Not...Ther is no Try!"
Jedi Master Yoda
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Impound stand >$30

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

That's great for display!! But I worry about someone bumping it and sending 24 cars to the ground.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

piazza wrote:Let me know any thoughts please.
I really like this stand's ability to show off the cars from a distance, something that isn't done well on a staging table.

Are you at all concerned about the stand getting bumped and dumping the cars? :eek:
piazza
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by piazza »

Are you at all concerned about the stand getting bumped and dumping the cars?
That's great for display!! But I worry about someone bumping it and sending 24 cars to the ground.
Actually, the stands that were used at our last District Finals (where I got the inspiration to build these) were more upright. They were located in the pit and access to bump them was blocked by the pit barrier lines. People still liked the ability to view the cars.

I have tested bumping of the stand with the cars in the picture. I actually kicked one of the legs to jar the stand. The cars do lean forward to almost an upright position, but none fell off. I'm sure I could get them to go past upright and they would topple, but that would take enough force to go beyond an accidental bump.

I was thinking about putting a strip of velcro along each of the car spots on the stand. The idea then would be to put a very small (maybe 1/4" x 1/4") piece under each car to clear up the jarring questions. I'm sure this could raise concerns by car owners though. Any thoughts on that? :scratching:
Jedi Master Yoda
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

piazza wrote:I was thinking about putting a strip of velcro along each of the car spots on the stand. [...] I'm sure this could raise concerns by car owners though. Any thoughts on that?
Added velcro probably would be a concern to somebody, especially if a car was already riding with low clearance and your velcro ended up acting as a brake against the center rail. Also sounds like a bit of a hassle (and expense) on your part to do it.

Perhaps a thin but long strip of elastic all the way across would be sufficient safeguard? (I'm thinking of the bead jewelry stock you can get on spools at craft stores.) However, that could detract somewhat from the display, and it could complicate pulling the cars in and out... :thinking:

If you're worried about it, how about just moving the hinge point up a little more, and then putting some kind of stiff crossmember on the 3rd leg for added stability? Or add a fourth leg... :idea:
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

It looks like it might be safe enough for relatively thin, flat cars. But designs with high CM could topple off pretty easily.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That stand would make me rather nervous as well. I would recommend making it less vertical. Personally, I would not really trust a tripod stand. It would be far safer to just use a restraint system on a regular table. All it takes is one accident and a lot of cars can be damaged. I wouldn't want to face the disappointed kids nor their red in the face parents in that situation.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Couldn't you run a piece of string along the mid-section of each row to help hold the cars in place? Some that stuff that they use to make necklaces that stretches, but still should be good enough to provide support.

That would allow someone to pull the string outwards to get a car, but should give support in case of a bump.

Just thinking out loud.
piazza
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Impound stand

Post by piazza »

OK...Here is mod 1 to address the issues posted.
1. Installed black elastic bands around each row.
2. Added cross member to the bottom of the 3rd leg.

I know there are 3 cars missing wheels. They are under const. for next weekends big council event in San Bernardino, CA called Stampede. That is the event these stands are being made for.

Note: The elastic can easily be placed above the row of cars to allow car show judging for style.

These things are really very sturdy and there is no way the cars will flop out of those bands. Let me know what you think...and thanks for your input.
Jedi Master Yoda
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Impound stand

Post by FatSebastian »

Looks good. :thumbup: Perhaps a table- or shelf-top version of this (one or two rows across) would be very appealing and quite portable for those who are still nervous about the tripod arrangement. And when the kids are finally done with their racing careers, that would be a convenient way to display their many champions. ;)