Sources for Plaques/Trophies

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Sources for Plaques/Trophies

Post by AlabamaDan »

BallBoy....those are absolutely awesome! This will definately be the way I go next year. I only wish I had seen this earlier in the year. Absolutely AWESOME! Take some pictures next time.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

I thought I would post some pictures of some homemade trophies that my brother made a couple of years ago. The gold part of the trophies were donated courtesy of a local mechanic. Notice that the trophies are blue and gold, which goes along with the Cub Scout colors.

Derby Gurus
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Gurus »

Wow! Those are cool. What a nice idea with the real car parts and PWD car plate.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Derby Gurus wrote:Wow! Those are cool.
Agree! Excepting the piston, how do the pieces attach to the platform (especially the round ones)?
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

FatSebastian wrote:Excepting the piston, how do the pieces attach to the platform (especially the round ones)?
There is a bolt welded to the bottom of the part. The bolt fits through a hole in the trophy base with a washer and nut securing it from beneath in a counter-bored hole. I have access to one of these trophies, so I will take it apart and post a picture in the next day or two.

For those without access to welding equipment or a welder you can use U-bolts or any number of specialty fasteners for mounting. Welding is the cleanest and cheapest option, though. Many mechanics and metal working shops would be happy to do a simple weld. Some for free if it's for a non-profit organization, others for a small fee. You could even trade the welding for a sponsorship mention during the race.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

Here is an image of one of the trophies disassembled. The weld job is ugly, but it works.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

This weekend I finished the trophies for our pack's upcoming derby. The base is a 9" wide piece of 2x6 with a slight bevel ripped on the front. On top of the base is a 6.5" x 1.5" x 5/8" piece out of the same 2x6 for a car stand. The car stand is glued and pinned in place with a couple of brads. On the left-rear of each trophy is a 1.5" x 1.5" x 2.75" riser (out of the same 2x6) with a slight bevel on the top. All wood pieces were sanded then painted with blue spray paint.

The trophy topper is a Hotwheels car spray painted with a metallic gold paint then attached with hot glue. The risers for first, second, and third place trophies are progressively taller than the rest and have a vinyl number on front. Two 9-year-olds and one 7-year-old gave direction as to which cars should be on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies.

The wording on the front of each trophy is a "clear" address label stuck on the beveled side of the base (The Avery packaging label said "clear", but I would call it "frosted". I wanted clear and am settling with frosted). Any ideas on what could be used for the trophy label that would be as close to free as possible? Official trophy plates, whether purchased locally or online, would break the budget.

FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

BallBoy wrote:Any ideas on what could be used for the trophy label that would be as close to free as possible? Official trophy plates, whether purchased locally or online, would break the budget.
As far as budget, I think you may be on the right track by looking into printed adhesive labels. You might consider some address labels printed professionally from a company that specializes in printing checks, labels, business cards, rubber stamps, etc. Going this route, there are lots of options in terms of label sizes, lettering, colors, and materials (e.g., a gold foil label might be appropriate for this application). Also, the turnaround tends to be reasonably quick, if your requirements do not stray from standard product offerings. For example, usually you can get a roll of 250 labels (return-address size) printed for less than $10. At a few cents a piece, that may be as close to free as you will find.

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Just wanna say that I love this thread and I really like the idea of homemade trophies for the Pack races. I'm going to float this as an idea the next time our Pack derbies come around. I think it would allow us to, cost-effectively, offer more "hardware" for the scouts to take home from race day.

In terms of the labels, two other options to consider:

- You can buy gold foil printing labels from Avery, that work with an inkjet or laser: http://www.avery.com/avery/v/index.jsp? ... 18140aRCRD" target="_blank

- When I worked at a sign shop, we offered digital printing onto adhesive vinyl. One of the vinyls we stocked was a nice brushed gold finish. Would be a little pricier than the above option, but might be worth inquiring.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

This year we decided that no cubscout would get more than one trophy. The design award trophies are as big as the overall trophies. This will spread them out a little bit more. Ended up spending about $270.00 on trophies and participation pins.